Dynamic Age Pyramid

05-10-2022 07:58 PM
Labels (3)
aam
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Folks,

I am wondering how difficult it is to build a dynamic age pyramid on ArcGIS Dashboard. I am interested in something similar that you see on this web page here, 
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2021/dp-pd/dv-vd/pyramid/index-en.htm

If not on Dashboard I could use Story map and embed a page that has dynamic age pyramid. I just don't know where to start and what would be required.

Any suggestion/feedback would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is possible, but you'll need to reshape the data a bit, which will probably involve a Data Expression.

Basically, you'll just need to take the "left" side of the chart, and flip those values to being negative. Then create a Serial Chart, set it to a horizontal style, and stack the series. The negative values will go to the left, achieving something akin to the chart you're trying to make.

jcarlson_0-1652276595964.png

This is a really neat idea, and something that warrants a larger how-to post, perhaps. I'll tag you in the post if I ever write up a more detailed process.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
aam
by
Occasional Contributor

That would be great if you do. Thank you for your feedback.

0 Kudos
aam
by
Occasional Contributor

I got it working but dont know how to get rid of the negative percent at the bottom, any suggestions?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, that seems to be where the whole thing falls short. There does not appear to be a way to override the labels of the value axis. But then, this whole thing was sort of a hack anyway.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos