Select to view content in your preferred language

Dashboard Category Selectors

12-12-2022 08:51 AM
BensonBotchwey
New Contributor

I want to know if anyone can help with linking two different selectors to one list panel. All three will run using one dataset from an excel csv. how do I make the list panel respond singularly to each of the selectors?
And how can I make sure the action of one selector not interfere with the other?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When you say "the action of one selector not interfere with the other", what do you mean? You can configure the selectors to filter the other selectors or not so that all the options are available, regardless of the selection in another.

But if they're all linked to the same dataset, then they'll of course filter the data collectively. Unless you had a duplicate of the layer for each selector, there's no way to really separate that out.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
BensonBotchwey
New Contributor

Yes, they are using subsets of a larger dataset. The selectors however are linked to a list panel. The two selectors are separate of each other ie have no links to each other but influence the list shown on the list panel. i would like the list be shown independent of the selector when not selected.

0 Kudos
SarahAfifahBasir
Esri Contributor

Hye, if I understand correctly, this is what you can do to achieve what you want. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the Category selector
Configure the category selector. Click the Selector tab and expand Settings if necessary. Scroll down a bit, under the None option section, toggle the switch button on. This will include a None button/option in the category selector. 

This is what I set the parameter as, which provides two options; for the list panel to respond singularly to each of the selectors or simultaneously. For instance, to show the list based on only Category selector 1, page visitors can choose None for Category selector 2 and proceeds to select any category in Category selector 1

SarahAfifahBasir_1-1671518443720.png

Click the Actions tab, expand Filter, and toggle the switch button for the list element on.

SarahAfifahBasir_2-1671519280156.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the List element
On the Actions tab,  expand Filter and toggle the switch buttons for both category selectors on.

SarahAfifahBasir_0-1671518312536.png

If you have big data, ensure that the value for Maximum features displayed for the list is set to maximum or larger than the whole data value. 

SarahAfifahBasir_3-1671519790876.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example of the category selectors None button/option: 

SarahAfifahBasir_4-1671520373218.png

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
SarahAfifahBasir
Esri Contributor

@BensonBotchwey wrote:

Yes, they are using subsets of a larger dataset. The selectors however are linked to a list panel. The two selectors are separate of each other ie have no links to each other but influence the list shown on the list panel. i would like the list be shown independent of the selector when not selected.

Based on what you wrote here, I am not sure if this can be totally applied to what you want. As for the data that I am using, it's of a list of schools in a state with Category selectors set based on two fields;

1. Type of schools (Private or Public)
  2. Level of schools (Elementary, High School, College, etc)
0 Kudos