Dashboard Category Selector Zoom Bug

09-14-2022 04:54 AM
Labels (1)
AnthonyJonesRSK
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I've noticed that category selectors using grouped values don't appear to adhere to the point zoom scale set in my map when using the zoom action. The map appears to zoom in to the largest scale possible so zooms in too close to the feature making the base map blurry.

I've tested this on two separate dashboards now with different maps and data and have got the same result. If I change from grouped values to features then the point zoom scale is respected. The scale is also recognised when using zoom actions from a list so the issue appears to just be with category selectors with grouped values.

Can someone look into this please?

Thanks

Anthony

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The point zoom scale is used when your map zooms to a single point. Because "grouped values" can filter to > 1 features, it does not adhere to this scale, but simply zooms to the smallest scale that will display all matching features. If you had two points separated by a large distance returned by your filter, zooming to a set scale might give you a situation in which none of the filtered data is visible in the map.

It sounds like you're using "grouped values" but still filtering down to single points? What's your use case here, and why is the "features" mode not the option to choose instead?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
AnthonyJonesRSK

Thanks for the response Josh. That does make sense. It's a shame you can't at least set a minimum scale for the map to not zoom in beyond.  

I'm using grouped values as my layer has duplicate values so I needed to hide these in the selector. A lot of my points sit on top of one another but represent different features (data is originally from Survey123), hence the issues with the map. I'm finding filtering across layers to be a bit of a nightmare after originally trying to use Experience Builder. Dashboards are better for filtering across layers with common fields but limitations like this are pretty frustrating. I'm sure I'll work something out though.

Thanks again for your quick response, it's much appreciated.

Anthony

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well, there's always using a Data Expression. You could, for instance, write an expression that groups the features together, or just pulls the first feature for each distinct instance of a given field.

That expression could be used to both filter the actual layer by its matching attribute, as well as zoom to the "point" in your data expression.

Depending on the source layer, though, it could perform poorly. How many records are in the table?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
AnthonyJonesRSK

I did consider using an expression but I'm not sure it will work in my instance.

To provide further context I'm basically trying to map my companies offices (around 300 records) and each has a related layer for business units within that office and within each business unit is a related layer for the staff within that unit. So in my case a business unit may be represented in multiple offices. I basically need an app where a user can go in, see all the office locations and which business units and staff are in each. But I also want them to be able to filter the offices by business unit so they can see where all our ecology staff are for example. 

The problem I'm having is that the parent layer for the offices doesn't contain any info on the business units so I can't filter it by business unit. So I tried just using the business unit layer to show the office locations as each business unit has geometry matching the office layer and also the name of the office. This is where I've run into the zoom issue as this layer needs the grouping to hide the duplicates but needs to maintain the data for each record. 

Ideally I just need more operators for filters such as "contains". These are available in Experience Builder but ExB is limited in its ability to filter across layers by common fields. I feel like I'll just need a workaround for now until Group Filter becomes available in ExB.

Thanks

Anthony

0 Kudos