Cannot Access Data with Gauge element in Dashboard in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
05-21-2021 06:58 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am trying to create a dashboard that references data in an enterprise geodatabase to monitor our progress as the data is edited. But, when I use the data as a source for the Gauge element in the Dashboard it says "Cannot access data" and the "Loading Data" keeps spinning. I need help figuring out why.

The source data is layer from a map service in ArcGIS Server. The map service was published to reference source a feature class in an enterprise geodatabase. The map service has other layers as well and those work just fine in the Gauge element of a dashboard.

Some additional information/troubleshooting I've tried:
1. I can click show preview of the data and it shows the data in table form
2. The map service that the data is in has other layers, if I use those layers as a source for the Gauge element they load just fine.
3. If I publish the feature class as a hosted feature service in ArcGIS Online the Gauge will work. But, I don't want the data source to be a copy in ArcGIS online, I want it to reference the original data from the enterprise geodatabase.
4. The data works with other elements, like the List in the dashboard.

I have a feeling it is something specific about how the Gauge element queries the data that isn't working with this layer in the map service. But, can't figure out what.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Closing the loop on this issue in case its helpful to anyone in the future.

I checked the ArcGIS Server logs when the Gauge element produced "Cannot Access Data" and it recorded the following error:

• Geodatabase error: Insufficient permissions[42000:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'XXX_evw', database 'XXX', schema 'XXX'.]. Insufficient permissions.

Turns out the arcgis server user had permissions to the feature class in the enterprise geodatabase, but not the versioned view. In ArcCatalog, I regranted SELECT privileges on the feature class to the arcgis server user and now I can used the Gauge element with the layer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Closing the loop on this issue in case its helpful to anyone in the future.

I checked the ArcGIS Server logs when the Gauge element produced "Cannot Access Data" and it recorded the following error:

• Geodatabase error: Insufficient permissions[42000:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'XXX_evw', database 'XXX', schema 'XXX'.]. Insufficient permissions.

Turns out the arcgis server user had permissions to the feature class in the enterprise geodatabase, but not the versioned view. In ArcCatalog, I regranted SELECT privileges on the feature class to the arcgis server user and now I can used the Gauge element with the layer.

0 Kudos