Cannot Access Data in Indicator - Operations Dashboard

1316
2
Jump to solution
12-17-2019 06:37 AM
NathanielSimmons
New Contributor III

I am trying to create a fairly simple operations dashboard that displays the total number features in an indicator. When I try to create the indicator, I get an error that says "Cannot Access Data." I have the appropriate permissions to this particular feature service, and it also seems to have the correct parameters set up on the REST page (supports statistics = true, etc.).

I found a work-around to get it working by creating an application through web appbuilder and then adding the layer as an external data source. Then, when I set up an infographic the count displays correctly.... However, what I am after is having the correct count display in the widget/indicator and on the map at the same time. 

For some more info/reference, I am using ArcGIS Online and the feature service is secure and requires an additional login to access it.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on how I can get the indicator to work correctly. Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanielSimmons
New Contributor III

So, after more tests, it seems that the issue arises if the feature class is not organically created in the sde database. If you create the layer based on an imported shapefile, the indicator count issue seems to be incorrect.

However, the issue was resolved after copying the data from the current sde database to another sde database, and then importing it back into the original sde database (as a new layer). 

 

Contrary to my previous post, it seems like the database platform was not really the issue. Copying the feature class out and bringing it back in seemed to reset the schema and it also avoided the strange bugs that occurred previously. You should give that a try and see if it works since it did for us.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NathanielSimmons
New Contributor III

To anyone still having this issue in the future, there is a possible work-around. I was trying to display a count for a feature (with attachments) published through a PostgresSQL database, which seems to have been the problem. After publishing the feature to an SQL Server database, the indicator displayed the correct number of features, even with the attachments enabled!!

Depending on the situation, creating a new database just to get the indicator to display the correct feature count hardly seems like a reasonable work-around. But, I wanted to let anyone who is having the same issue know about possible work-around... 

0 Kudos
NathanielSimmons
New Contributor III

So, after more tests, it seems that the issue arises if the feature class is not organically created in the sde database. If you create the layer based on an imported shapefile, the indicator count issue seems to be incorrect.

However, the issue was resolved after copying the data from the current sde database to another sde database, and then importing it back into the original sde database (as a new layer). 

 

Contrary to my previous post, it seems like the database platform was not really the issue. Copying the feature class out and bringing it back in seemed to reset the schema and it also avoided the strange bugs that occurred previously. You should give that a try and see if it works since it did for us.  

0 Kudos