Select to view content in your preferred language

On the fly scaling for all dashboard features

08-24-2022 04:46 PM
JanetBrewster1
Occasional Contributor

In trying to see how responsive my dashboard is to various screen dimensions, I've resized my browser window as an attempt to simulate that. However, not all of the dashboard features resize as well. The charts, indicators, selectors and title bar all resize on the fly. However, the map and rich text box do NOT resize -- both the map and the text in the text box get cut off.

I have not seen any other dashboards on Esri's webpage that do what I want -- they all scrunch up in a very unappealing way if the screen is resized. Is there currently a way around this? I'm not a coder, so that's not my go-to solution just yet.

Thanks!

1 Comment
patrickb
Status changed to: Closed

@JanetBrewster1 As you have discovered, dashboard elements are designed to take up 100% of the screen (regardless of its size/resolution). When a dashboard authored on screen A is taken to screen B, things can get squished or stretched, which can affect the overall aesthetic and utility of the dashboard. This is something we hope to make progress on over time, but for now our recommendation is that you author a dashboard on a screen with a resolution that reflects where it will be displayed/viewed by end users.  I will probably close this thread down as there are others that ask for similar things. 

As an imperfect workaround, when I want to view a dashboard at multiple resolutions (to see how it gets affected), I use a variation of the workflow outlined in this video. In a nutshell, I have modified my browser's developer tools to include a handful of resolutions, and I switch between them  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY0afqN6TOA

patrickb_0-1698269014050.png