Create widgets to Operation Dashboard

03-20-2019 06:41 AM
PlinioSantos
New Contributor III

Companies frequently needs to show some information in a way in which there are no elements in Operations Dashboard that fits the requirements.

Would be great if Operations Dashboard could allow create own widgets.

This feature was in Operations Dashboard for Desktop, but this product was discontinueded in Jan-1-2017.

Reference:

* Video showing how to create extensions for Operations Dashboard for Desktop - also worked with the web version: Developing Custom Extensions in Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS - YouTube 

* Operations Dashboard Extensibility reference: Extend Operations Dashboard | Guide | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.27 

8 Comments
DerekLaw

Hi Plinio,

> Companies frequently needs to show some information in a way in which there are no elements in Operations Dashboard that fits the requirements.

As you know, ArcGIS Dashboards does not currently offer an extensibility framework for custom elements. Perhaps you could share with us some specific data visualization examples/use cases on what's missing in dashboard? Thanks.

PlinioSantos

Derek,

I guess you may misunderstood the idea here, or maybe I hadn't made myself clear in my initial text.

The idea I would love to see is Operation Dashboard allowing developers to customize its behavior, just like Web AppBuilder does in its Developer edition. So, I think it is irrelevant to say what kind of visualization I want, since the idea is not about it.

Best regards,

DerekLaw

Hi Plinio,

> The idea I would love to see is Operation Dashboard allowing developers to customize its behavior ...

Typically, users want to customize behavior in a product because it's missing something in its functionality. Hence, why I asked you for examples/use cases on what's missing in dashboard? (In most cases, this is usually something missing for data visualization in dashboard.) This helps us get context and requirements for future enhancements to the core product.

Hope this helps,

PlinioSantos

Hi Derek,

Since it has been a while, I really dont know the specifics which brings me to create this idea. I'm sure it is related with:

1 - Customize a pannel/widget;

2 - Create a pannel/widget (a gallery pannel showing all images URLs. in our case. That time Operations had a limitation about this and we migrate our product to Web Appbuilder in order to continue evoluition).

Its just it. I think it is reasonable to think that Operation Dashboard, as any other out of the box software, can not cover all millions possibilities. So, instead of submit support and wait for Esri develop the widget/visualization, companny development teams would create it by themselves.

I hope we can do this in a future.

Thanks for your feed back.

Plinio

LindsyHales_Bentley

Derek,

I found an old ESRI Tutorial here that references using the Feature Details Widget in the desktop app.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/decision-support/decision-support/build-a-real-time-traffi... 

I do not see this widget in the online app, do you know if it was renamed? Or is it no longer available?

Thanks,
Lindsy

DerekLaw

Hi Lindsy,

> I found an old ESRI Tutorial here that references using the Feature Details Widget in the desktop app.

The Details element in ArcGIS Dashboards is the approximate functional equivalent of the Feature Details widget referenced in the tutorial.

Hope this helps,

Wittawat

Hi Darek,

From my understanding of what you explained, it means there is no plan to add custom widget in ArcGIS Dashboard shortly.

Would it be possible to add other types of chart such as radar chart into ArcGIS Dashboard?

Thank you,

Wittawat

DerekLaw

Hi Wittawat,

> From my understanding of what you explained, it means there is no plan to add custom widget in ArcGIS Dashboard shortly.

Correct.

> Would it be possible to add other types of chart such as radar chart into ArcGIS Dashboard?

Please submit a new enhancement on the ArcGIS Ideas site for ArcGIS Dashboards.

Hope this helps,