Select to view content in your preferred language

importing shapefiles - country error message

04-30-2013 12:00 PM
JohnHenneberger
New Contributor
I am trying to upload a polygon file showing communities in Texas, but keep receiving the following message from Community Analyst:

"This location is not in the country you selected and can't be used for analysis and reports.
Change your country selection above and try again."

The country is set to USA. The data has been projected in NAD_1983_StatePlane_Texas_South_FIPS_4205_Feet.

I have tried reprojecting and reuploading the data but keep getting the same message. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Try adding the polygon by itself in a session.  Does it add.

Now add a landbase feature such as roads.  Does the road appear in the proper location in reference to the polygon?

I am trying to upload a polygon file showing communities in Texas, but keep receiving the following message from Community Analyst:

"This location is not in the country you selected and can't be used for analysis and reports.

The country is set to USA. The data has been projected in NAD_1983_StatePlane_Texas_South_FIPS_4205_Feet.

I have tried reprojecting and reuploading the data but keep getting the same message. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
JohnHenneberger
New Contributor
re: rborchert:

I'm having trouble importing the polygon shapefile to Community Analyst (basic subscription); I think your advice is for desktop GIS? Community Analyst doesn't allow you to upload line files (like roads) to my knowledge...
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor

John,

I would suggest using the Project gp tool in ArcGIS to get it into WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere.  It should cooperate with Community Analyst at this point.  If you do not have ArcGIS I would be happy to convert it.  Just zip the shapefile/file geodatabase and reply back with it attached here.

Another common issue with polygons files being uploaded can also be do the complexity of the polygon on the vertices side of things.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
JohnHenneberger
New Contributor
Jason,

I did as you suggested and projected the data into WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere.  I then exported the first 100 records into a new shapefile and uploaded this new file into Community Analyst, at which point I received the following error message: "Unable to read polygons from shapefile. Invalid data."

I have attached the original shapefile to this post. I noticed when opening the file in ArcCatalog that I am unable to read the metadata; I wonder if that could have anything to do with my Community Analyst issues?

Thanks for your help!
Lauren (intern)

John,

I would suggest using the Project gp tool in ArcGIS to get it into WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere.  It should cooperate with Community Analyst at this point.  If you do not have ArcGIS I would be happy to convert it.  Just zip the shapefile/file geodatabase and reply back with it attached here.

Another common issue with polygons files being uploaded can also be do the complexity of the polygon on the vertices side of things.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Jason,

I did as you suggested and projected the data into WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere.  I then exported the first 100 records into a new shapefile and uploaded this new file into Community Analyst, at which point I received the following error message: "Unable to read polygons from shapefile. Invalid data."

I have attached the original shapefile to this post. I noticed when opening the file in ArcCatalog that I am unable to read the metadata; I wonder if that could have anything to do with my Community Analyst issues?

Thanks for your help!
Lauren (intern)

Lauren/John,

Give the the shapefile that I have attached a shot.  It did work though it did take a little additional time.  When I zoomed on on the polygons I could tell that even with only 100 sites, which should work to be uploaded, that there is a point vertex issue..an issue in that there would be too many for CA/BAO to handle.  I used the Simplify Polygon (Cartography) gp tool to create a version with reduced vertexes (10 meter maximum allowable offset was my first attempt and it ended up working with that parameter but generally I start conservative and then up the value if unsuccessful).

I will double check on the vertex limit for polygons.  I recollect a number but not certain enough to throw it out there yet.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
JohnHenneberger
New Contributor
Lauren/John,

Give the the shapefile that I have attached a shot.  It did work though it did take a little additional time.  When I zoomed on on the polygons I could tell that even with only 100 sites, which should work to be uploaded, that there is a point vertex issue..an issue in that there would be too many for CA/BAO to handle.  I used the Simplify Polygon (Cartography) gp tool to create a version with reduced vertexes (10 meter maximum allowable offset was my first attempt and it ended up working with that parameter but generally I start conservative and then up the value if unsuccessful).

I will double check on the vertex limit for polygons.  I recollect a number but not certain enough to throw it out there yet.

Regards,
Jason R.

Jason,

Thank you; this worked great!
0 Kudos