Why was the ability to use a sideloaded basemap at download disabled?!?!?

Jump to solution
04-10-2019 05:16 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

In the previous version of Collector, we had a default offline basemap sideloaded (https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/collector/field-mobility/using-your-own-basemap-layers-wit...) on all of our iPads. When users downloaded a "Map", the default was to select the offline base map, as our jurisdiction is 500000 acres and it's simply not possible to download a 4 GB basemap over ANY kind of connection. This worked flawlessly for years. Now, with the new version of collector, you can still use the sideloaded basemap, but only AFTER you've downloaded the original basemap when you pulled in the map. (https://community.esri.com/message/824131-re-collector-maps-offline?commentID=824131#comment-824131: " Using a sideloaded TPK during download isn't supported at this time"). 

Why!?!?!?

This has effectively eliminated our ability to use Collector. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Thomas - We are working to get that into the new Collector. In fact, it is planned as part of a beta release that will be available on iOS soon (I'd estimate in the next couple weeks). 

As to your point on how you are required to download a basemap today, you don't have to download a huge one. Just download the basemap in the map with the lowest level of detail (like level 0 or 1) so that you get a smaller basemap during download, and replace it with the one you want after that.

Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Thomas - We are working to get that into the new Collector. In fact, it is planned as part of a beta release that will be available on iOS soon (I'd estimate in the next couple weeks). 

As to your point on how you are required to download a basemap today, you don't have to download a huge one. Just download the basemap in the map with the lowest level of detail (like level 0 or 1) so that you get a smaller basemap during download, and replace it with the one you want after that.

Esri Education Team
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Despite the answer being marked as correct, still curious as to why the functionality was disabled. As we're seeing with Pro, many popular and critical Arc Map features didn't make it into the flagship product replacement, and seeing the same trend with Collector is deeply concerning. To be honest, I'm not much of a Collector user (or expert, which would make me a poor candidate for beta testing), but I'm seeing a sudden big demand from the users I support, especially the newer (younger) workforce, and this is not the only New Collector - Less Functionality issues I'm seeing. Stay tuned on that one, I may log a case on it, still working out repro steps, but the root of the issue is, nothing that has worked well in Collector Class  works in this new Collector (offline maps and layers that have not been changed or reconfigured for 18+ months), which circles me back to: Why? The kneejerk answer would be: Keep using Collector Classic, but we have something of a policy "Use the latest" despite it not being the "Greatest". Throw in our Mickey Mouse wifi security flaming hoops and 1990 AOL speed (our choice) and lack of ability to sync Collector using USB (a yet to be explained ESRI choice), I continue to miss Arc Pad. Again, kicking myself for not joining the Beta on this, but as I'm sure you know, I'm focused on desktop migration which is a full-time workload and I only have time to be a late adopter on this mobile stuff. But if the line in my office this week with Collector issues is an indicator where I need to get on front of functionality issues, sign me up! 

JonTaylor
New Contributor

This ability to have an offline basemap of our own choosing is not something that ESRI should consider optional.  In terms of download speed, ok, I see the point.  However, in terms of map usability my company goes to great lengths to assure we have very good basemap data.  The inability to side load leaves me in a position of having to tell all users "well we will just have to wait until this is added".  Please make it happen.  There is rarely a field user that does not find errors due to very dated ESRI hosted basemaps and this is why, for our organization, it is imperative to make the side loading for New Collector work.  Additionally, I'll throw my hat in the ring and offer to help test it!

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jon -- Sideloading a basemap is supported today. In the Collector doc, you'll find information on how to create a basemap for sideloading as well as how to get that basemap onto your device. What was supported with Classic and isn't yet in the new Collector is the ability to use a sideloaded basemap during download instead of downloading a basemap along with your map. In new Collector you can use the sideloaded basemap with the map after it is downloaded.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
JonTaylor
New Contributor

My apologies, I dove into the discussion thinking the description of the problem applied to me.  It doesn't and you're correct.  Side loading does seem to work in getting the .TPK file to the iOS device.  I can see that the "Basemaps" folder now exists on the iPad and is the same size as the .TPK file I loaded.  The basemap that I placed there, however, is not available in the Basemaps within the New Collector app.  The only available basemap is "Default" but my desire is to change the basemap to the one Side Loaded.  Are there documented steps for accomplishing this?

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

No worries Jon Taylor. The most common reasons for the sideloaded basemap to not show up with your offline map are that it doesn't overlap the extent of the offline map area you are using, or that its spatial reference doesn't match that of the default basemap. Could you check on those things?

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
JonTaylor
New Contributor

I checked those two items first thing as I was thinking the same. Both the downloaded map and the default basemap are WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere. My maps only cover 1 county for both the downloaded map and the .TPK basemap so, to the best of my thinking, they have to overlap. Now, that being stated, the original data for both the AGOL map (the downloaded map) and the basemap are in another coordinate system but the projection used in ArcMap has never failed to present correctly as the WGS 84 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere when set to that prior to adding the desired data for publishing. Another item I have contemplated is that the .TPK file was created from MrSID data so there is not anything in the basemap but raster data. I would not think that would cause any issues though. Is there a way to review the data in the .TPK to assure it is populated/shows data as expected?

0 Kudos