Transferring Photo Attachments from Collector to ArcMap Feature Class

09-17-2014 06:41 AM
AndrewAult
New Contributor II

I have recently been collecting data in the field with an ArcGIS Online map via the Collector App, complete with photo attachments. Is there some way to transfer these attachments when I transfer the rest of the attribute data when converting to a shapefile or feature class? I have been able to transfer the other fields without problem but I cannot seem to transfer the attachments alongside them.

8 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

This thread may provide a workable solution.

Can't edit a arcgis online feature service in desktop 10.2.2

If you add the service to ArcMap and in the table of contents, right click on the layer  "Edit Features" -> Create a Local Copy for Editing.   It will create a local geodatabase with the attachments.

That said I am currently testing the next release of ArcGIS - 10.3  and it worked for me doing this. 

Mark

0 Kudos
AndrewAult
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response. I've been through that thread and encountered some of the same problems, such as "Create a Local Copy for Editing" not being an available option under "Edit Features." I also tried the Context Menus recommendation under Customize Mode and can't seem to get that to work, either. Whenever I close out of the Toolbar window where I add it, it closes out my options as well. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Andrew,

Using 10.2.2 I did the following.

In ArcMap using search I searched for the service that I am using with collector.

observations  owner:eko_nitro

I click to add it to ArcMap.

then Right click on "Group Layer" heading.

Edit Features  --> Create Local Copy for Editing

createlocalcopy.png

Looking at the Source for the observations layer it is updated with a local path.

localgeodatabase.png

and further verified by looking in Catalog.

catalogviewattachments.png

Can you do the same using this service? (its shared with everyone on ArcGIS online)

also if it is a hosted feature service on ArcGIS online and you own it, you can export it from ArcGIS Online.

hostedexport.png

Mark

0 Kudos
AndrewAult
New Contributor II

Mark,

I was able to add that service from ArcGIS Online but am still have the same issues. I've posted screenshots here for you to see what my problem has been:

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

I'm not sure why I'm getting separate options from you when I right-click on the group layer. I'm sure it's something simple I can't quite wrap my head around!

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

It is the Table of Contents view that you are using.  Push the far left button.

tocview.png

0 Kudos
AndrewAult
New Contributor II

Ah, that explains part of it. I'm still having an issue for some reason getting that option to pop up for me:

screenshot3.png

This is from my own personal feature service I'm attempting to create a local copy for editing.

0 Kudos
SanneMikkelsen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Andrew and Mark. I have it up and running in Collector ver. 10.2.4 for Ios. BUT I have a major problem with the attachments. Hope that you are able to test this in the new version Mark:

The attachment tranfer fails for me, when I try to transfer images, which has been shot with the default image size. It means that I have to dowmload an app to shrink the images before I add in Collector.

It makes it difficult for my users to add pictures, and then they simply don't do it.

I really hope you have found a solution in 10.3.

/Sanne

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not sure if this is the kind of transfer you are talking about, but check out How To: Batch export attachments from a feature class in ArcMap. It goes through setting up a script tool to download all photo attachments to a folder, and I imagine you could just add another step to the process to add a field with links to the exported photos to the feature class. Good luck!

0 Kudos