Tracking Layer - Update option over Add?

05-15-2013 05:04 PM
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III
I have been doing some testing with the location tracking layer in Collector.

Some questions:

At the moment, I am getting a series of new points added to the layer which are a past record of where my collectors have been.  There is an attribute for accuracy, but none for the collector user, or a timestamp.

Q1. Without these, how might one know which dots relate to which user, and when that user was there?
I tried enabling editor tracking, but this still does not feed in a timestamp?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24348[/ATTACH]

Without these attributes, I am unable to symbolise or apply a definition query to show a 'snail trail' for each collectors movements in the last XX minutes.

Q2. How can I change the tracking layer to just show me the current position of my collectors, so that these can be seen in applications like Dashboard?  I want to make the tracking layer an UPDATE as opposed to an ADD, but I cant see this option available?

For the demonstrations that were done at Dev Summit, I assume this was making use of GeoEvent Processor?

It might well be that I have missed a step in configuration and the above Questions might involve going back and changing something.  Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Q1: Are you using an ArcGIS Online hosted service? What is the sharing level for this item(public, private, group etc)?. Could you go to the rest endpoint for that layer(0) and in the Query enter 1=1 under the Where field and put * under Output Fields. Can you see that the fields are being populated there.

Q2: Currently we are just using add only and dropping a point at the intervall set and we currently do not support the update feature geometry only configuration. Some of the Dashboard presentations were leveraging GeoEvent. I am unsure if they were using all Dashboard, Geoevent and Collector all in the same demo. I will look into what was being done and see if there is a possible solution for you.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
DanielBrown
New Contributor II
I am also interested in this topic.

I am putting together a prototype for our "potential" ArcGIS Online field collection solutions, where we can take advantage of ESRI applications.  I have successfully collected data, attachments, and my tracked locations with the Collector.

So, I have the same question:
How can I change the tracking layer to just show me the current position of my collectors, so that these can be seen in applications like Dashboard?  (or my other API applications)

I dont see any method for date and time filters through the hosted service, through ArcGIS Server, or through a webmap.

Was this the ESRI vision at this phase?  Do I have to use geoevent server (beta right now) for this task?
d.
0 Kudos
HiranZani2
New Contributor III
Hi guys,
This is an important issue for me also.
How can one know the last location for the field crew without a time attribute?
Thanks
Hiran
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
The editor tracking fields will populate the collector out in the field and time it was collected. I went to the REST endpoint for my tracking layer and did a simple query. The attached photo will show all the information that gets collected by default in the tracking layer.[ATTACH=CONFIG]24509[/ATTACH]

I will check with the dashboard team and see if there are any possible solutions to show the most recent tracking point and update this thread.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
BradyScribner1
New Contributor

Hi Russ.  I am working on a damage collection system and would like to show the current locations of our emergency responders rather than a collection of points showing where they have been.  This info would be displayed in our emergency operations center as well as to our decision makers using Operations Dashboard.  I was hoping you were able to find out from the dashboard team if displaying current location rather than a collection of points was possible.  Thanks.

LeahSaunders
New Contributor III

Was there any solution to this either in a web map or dashboard?  A regular filter won't work but I could see something like a definition expression that could work...however I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution or if you got an update on this (even though the thread is old).

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

currently location tracking is still just a bread crumb trail and there is not an out of the box solution that will only display the most recent point in that track log.

Russ

0 Kudos
LeahSaunders
New Contributor III

So I have found a solution to this problem, however you have to add a definition expression to the JSON and you have to have standardized query set to false on the server (or ArcGIS Online) to be able to accomplish it.  I have successfully got it working on both a hosted tracking layer and one in ArcGIS for Server (with an enterprise geodatabase backend) which is it's own hack.  However there is something Portal that is blocking the advanced query.  So a query can solve this problem, but you are editing things like the JSON at your own risk.  We do have a customer who is successfully doing this though.

CharlesBailey3
Occasional Contributor II

Could you elaborate on this a bit more? Can you access the json from the layer properties in AGOL? And what does the query look like? Thanks, cob

0 Kudos