Sync Error with Collector and Ipads.

08-25-2014 10:05 AM
MitchAttig
New Contributor

Looking for anyone's experience with the following sync error in Collector:

Currently field testing collector and disconnected editing on two iOS Devices. One Ipad had no problem syncing once we were back in the office but the other keeps popping up with this error message.

"Unable to synchronize replica

Importing delta data changes failed."

Tech Details:

-Hosted feature service

-Trying to push 47 features (assortment of points, lines, polygons) currently

-No required fields to my knowledge

-Editor tracking disabled on the feature service.

-Updated Collector app and iOS operating system after errors appeared - no change

Any experience working around this is? Is there anyway to recover the day's worth of data from Collector?

Thanks

Tanner

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DonaldHandshoe1
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue with someone in the field right now. He had no problems syncing until tonight. Another user on the same project was unable to sync last night and received a "timed out" error as well. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
JeffreyHolden
New Contributor III

I have also received this error after numerous successful Sync operations on the same device and map.

I have been testing collector for a while, and done numerous sync before, but this one will not work

Does anyone have a solution that will recover the data?

Jeffrey Holden

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

Check this link:

http://support.esri.com/cn/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/42579

The script mentioned has worked well for us with orphaned data in .geodatabase files.

0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor

Esri Support has removed KB article #42579 as it was a possible solution for a very specific scenario involving Collector for ArcGIS app 'edits failing to sync' but was mistakenly used by users outside of the supported scenario, which resulted in data corruption. Please contact Esri Support for more information.

0 Kudos
JohnHeule
New Contributor

Hello-

I am getting this error now whike trying to sync edits to a map. If this was a possible fix, do you know what it was?  Based on your response it seems like it mayhave been. Thanks!

0 Kudos
MitchAttig
New Contributor

I still have not figured out what is causing these errors and how to fix it. They occur somewhat randomly after many successful syncs of the same dataset. It would be great to figure out what drives these delta table errors. It does not seem to be a software version issue and seems to be largely connected to the user/sync process.

In terms of data recover I have tried accessing the Runtime GDB in iTunes using the Runtime GDB to GDB tool with no success for these specific feature services with errors.

Does anyone have any experience troubleshooting what causes these errors in the first place?

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3

As far as the data check is concerned - there are a few issues that might be interfering with the sync.

The conversion of the runtime database to a FGDB should work though.  I've noticed it only works for me if I move the runtime geodatabase files to a folder on the C: drive, and save the FGDB to the same location.  It seems whoever wrote the tool didn't do much testing on network drives or with longer file paths.

TylerBlack
New Contributor II

When you talk about a "runtime GDB" you are specifically talking about the GEODATABASE file, right?  Currently I am suffering from the same error.  Running an iPad with iOS 8, we went out and found about a dozen features as a test run with our GNSS receiver and I come back to this sync error.

I was able to retrieve the GEODATABASE files but I don't know what to do with them to recover the data.  The support link above doesn't work anymore either.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3

Yep - there should be 3 files (.geodatabse, .geodatabase-wal, .geodatabase-shm).  These are the "runtime geodatabase".  There is a tool in ArcCatalog 10.3 called Copy Runtime Geodatabase to File Geodatabase that will convert it.

Are you running SQL Server?  If so you might see my post here for some additional info on what might be causing your error.

Are SQL Server, ArcGIS Server, Runtime/Collector really production ready?!?