Symbolize based on related data

08-21-2017 10:23 AM
MeganJohnson
New Contributor III

Is there a way to symbolize feautres based on related table data? Creating a hydrant flushing web map/ Collector app and would like the hydrants that have already been inspected to be green, and the rest red. Related table contains a field for flushing status and relationship is 1:1 based on unique ID.

I know there is no way to directly symbolize based on related data but does any one know of a good work around?

5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could check if Joining the table solves your issue. You could symbolize the layer based on the desired Join Field.

Think Location
0 Kudos
MeganJohnson
New Contributor III

Would a table join carry over when publishing the feature service? I'm trying to find a way to use relates, if possible.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ensure the Join Table is also residing in the same database. And add the table to TOC of ArcMap before you join. Then, it should also get displayed in the map/feature service.

As of now, I haven't seen a way to symbolize layers based on Relate Table.

Think Location
0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

There is some discussion on this topic in an older thread:  Collector: use related layer to symbolise feature.  It may have some things to try, but I don't believe there is a solid solution.

SFM_WillBrewer
New Contributor III

ESRI recently introduced enhanced capabilities for joining features in ArcGIS Online that addresses this exact issue. It is not perfect. The join layer cannot be taken offline, but it is a great start!

Visualizing related data with Join Features in ArcGIS Online 

0 Kudos