Selecting a point on a map to collect data about (advance form)

Jump to solution
06-18-2021 09:03 AM
newwollyka
New Contributor III

Hi

I am new to ArcGIS online (trial subscription) and Survey123 but I have some experience working with QGIS and ODK and xlsforms.

I have a map with point features that represent buildings (each point represents a building location). I have the maps in QGIS; however, I want to export them in order to be used in Survey123 or Collector.

When we go into the field, we want to have an offline map which visualizes all the points that represent the buildings. I want to be able to move out in the field and navigate to these point features. I also want to be able to edit/add their characteristics in the field so the enumerator can click the point and fill a form (number of floors, types, etc.). The form is a little complex, it has multiple repeat groups (How many floors in the building, and in each floor, how many dwellings, and in each dwellings how many households). 

In addition, I want the enumerator to be able to add additional points, if necessary, in the field. For example, if there is a new building that wasn’t in the map, I want the enumerator to add a point on the map and fill the form.

I know that I can script the form in Survey123. I have already done that. But what I didn't figure it out is linking the form to the points/buildings. Is it possible to do it in? What tools do I need? 

I already asked a similar question : https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/selecting-a-point-on-a-map-to-collect-data-... but till now I didn't figure it out yet!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What I do is have the buildings in a layer in Field Maps/Collector.  Then I have launch links that pass the ID over to the 123 form (I also pass other fields so that my form can change dynamically like say number of floors).  The service has a relationship class that tie the two together using that ID.  So its easy to figure out which forms are for which assets.  I actually have 9 diff forms that all tie to the main point.

For more details see my post here  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-...

But basically use Collector for the spatial and 123 for the data.  It works slick.  Hope that helps

View solution in original post

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

These directions assume using globalis and guids.  If you leave building_id a string on both sides its much easier.  Just create a relationship class with building_id then publish this as a service.  Then use submission url setting in the form to point it to this new service.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What I do is have the buildings in a layer in Field Maps/Collector.  Then I have launch links that pass the ID over to the 123 form (I also pass other fields so that my form can change dynamically like say number of floors).  The service has a relationship class that tie the two together using that ID.  So its easy to figure out which forms are for which assets.  I actually have 9 diff forms that all tie to the main point.

For more details see my post here  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-...

But basically use Collector for the spatial and 123 for the data.  It works slick.  Hope that helps

newwollyka
New Contributor III

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

I hope that it is easy to follow since I am new to ArcGis.
Do I have to get the ArcGis Pro or Desktop for creating a relationship class or ArcGis online subscription with a creator user is enough?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think you do need Pro and maybe advanced.  You can also link them with IDs but not have a relationship just a little harder to find them.

newwollyka
New Contributor III

Is there a video or something more detailed? I am downloaded the ArcGIS Pro trial and I am trying to follow with the steps available  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-...

I created the form in Survey123 and published it. I also managed to have launch links that pass the ID over to the 123 form using custom URL scheme from this blog 

However,  I want to create relationships to make things easier since I will have thousands of points to edit and thousands of forms. So I continued with the steps, but I am stuck at step 2. how to download the form feature service as a gdb? I went to My Content  on ArcGIS online and found the form but there is no export (only share). I created a hosted layer feature and then I used the export option as FGDB. However, the downloaded zip file is always corrupt and cannot open it! 

0 Kudos
newwollyka
New Contributor III

I also trying to follow the blog posted here. But I am also stuck on step 1. Most probably it is due to my inexperienced in dealing with ArcGis Pro.  

As a summary, I already have the form published in survey123 with a building_id. I also have a map that have points/buildings in collector. The map has also a bldg_id. I linked them both using the custom URL and it worked. That's all I did till now and the other steps are not working (creating geodabases, create relationships class, linked them, etc..)

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

These directions assume using globalis and guids.  If you leave building_id a string on both sides its much easier.  Just create a relationship class with building_id then publish this as a service.  Then use submission url setting in the form to point it to this new service.

Hope that helps

newwollyka
New Contributor III

I just want to thank @DougBrowning  for helping a newbie out in setting the form. His help is very appreciated!

0 Kudos