Reach RS2 GNSS Unit

05-20-2021 01:56 PM
tari
by
New Contributor II

Hi all: 

I just came across this GNSS unit that was turning out to be significantly cheaper than the Trimble R2 unit. 

https://emlid.com/reachrs2/

I thought I check if anyone here has ever used this unit with a collector or any thoughts on this product over all. 

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
mykola
by
New Contributor III

After I read your reply, I remember that the issue was not Reachview in the iOS but the Bluetooth connectivity between Emlid and iOS devices. It simply didn´t work so we had to use Android instead which had no issues in combining Emlid with Arcgis apps. I realized that my earlier response was related to a different thing. Thanks. 

I have been working on creating a survey app in collector/field maps using external GPS and thus sending survey data in real time. Before, we used Trimble which required much more work and time to bring the surveyed data to the final destination. So now we can use a GNSS device connected to the Field Maps/Collector and measure in real time. The only issue I have encountered so far is a little difference in Z values when measured in Collector (the ReachView app has no issues though) . Sometimes it is OK and sometimes it differs by up to 10-20 cm. I don´t know if Field Maps has the same problem. I will check it in few weeks. But in general it is very promising and significantly reduces the survey hassle.

0 Kudos
ChristopherRoss8
New Contributor

Yes, this is accurate. You cannot use bluetooth connectivity between iOS and Emlid devices.

You can use bluetooth connectivity between Android and Emlid devices. I have tested Field Maps and Collector on Android with an Emlid Reach RS2 and it works but I noticed that you have to do some post-processing work on the data after the fact. When you setup your feature class (e.g. points) you must ensure that the GNSS fields exist to capture GPS metadata. When capturing points using the Emlid GPS receiver the elevations that are captured are in ellipsoidal height within the ALTITUDE field. If you want orthometric height you need to convert the ellipsoidal height into orthometric height using a height transformation software. I live in Canada so I use vertical datum CGVD2013 for orthometric heights. To convert my elevation values I use NRCan's GPS-H. I should also mention that I use network corrections (NRTK) for my Emlid GPS receiver.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Y_Chau
by
Occasional Contributor

@ChristopherRoss8 

In Field Maps (not Collector) with Emlid, do you connect to the BT of receiver directly or via mock location and integrated provider?

Sincerely

0 Kudos