Re: 'Update Failed - Updates could not be sent' error

12-09-2013 09:46 AM
DavidRoss1
Emerging Contributor
I have been getting the 'Update Failed - Updates could not be sent' error on both my android phone and tablet using the updated Collector app.  The error this seemed to replace, which I was also getting, was the 'edit not applied' error.  Also, I am not able to add an editable point to my web map via ArcGISonline (I currently have an organization account).  This editable feature service was created with feature access where all of the operations are enabled.  When trying to add an editable point via ArcGISonilne, I can click on my point template and the map does say 'Click to add a point' but it won't actually let me add the point.

I feel like I'm missing some type of permission, but at this point I really don't know what's going on.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Tags (2)
19 Replies
BlairHornung
Deactivated User
We have just started having the exact same problem. Our feature services are running on ArcGIS Server and registered through AGSOL to create editable maps for Collector. This happened all of a sudden with no explanation. I am also unable now to edit via ArcMap feature service editing. Any suggestions? I have tried recreating the data to no avail.

"I have been getting the 'Update Failed - Updates could not be sent' error on both my android phone and tablet using the updated Collector app. The error this seemed to replace, which I was also getting, was the 'edit not applied' error. Also, I am not able to add an editable point to my web map via ArcGISonline (I currently have an organization account). This editable feature service was created with feature access where all of the operations are enabled. When trying to add an editable point via ArcGISonilne, I can click on my point template and the map does say 'Click to add a point' but it won't actually let me add the point.

I feel like I'm missing some type of permission, but at this point I really don't know what's going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!"
0 Kudos
LukeBehling
Frequent Contributor
Blair,
Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I am having similar problems and am out of ideas to try...
0 Kudos
BlairHornung
Deactivated User
I did not find a fix nor a cause. In the end, I rebuilt the data from the SDE up to publishing the service again, then making a new map on ArcGIS Online. Not sure which one fixed it.
0 Kudos
LukeBehling
Frequent Contributor
I've done the same. Will you please repost if it stops working again without warning? I am still having the problem where all of a sudden it just stops working in connected mode.
0 Kudos
BlairHornung
Deactivated User
I've done the same. Will you please repost if it stops working again without warning? I am still having the problem where all of a sudden it just stops working in connected mode.

We have since setup many projects and have been using them reliably in the field. I'll let you know if anything changes.
0 Kudos
CVWDGIS
Emerging Contributor

We ran into a similar issue today; we have a feature layer setup for editing and we wanted to add the ability to support photo attachments.  This should be a trivial task by enabling attachments through the AGOL UI.  However when we tested this we got the "Update Failed 1 attachment could not be sent" error message.  After hours of troubleshooting I finally googled the error message and it lead me here.  Republishing the service seemed like a solution for some.  As we investigated this we noticed that Extent, within the rest end point, had a mixture of lat/long and state plane coordinate values. Leading us to believe that the data got corrupted somehow.  We had other issues when trying to export the data but we were finally able to export it.  We now host the data in our Portal so we have better control over it.  But in the end we did have to republish the service and everything is working as expected.  I hope this helps someone.

JoshWhite
Honored Contributor

I'm convinced SDE has a lot of problems, either that or somehow AGOL is corrupting my services.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason why a service suddenly becomes corrupted and the other solution seems to be (from Support) to export the offending features class(es) to a file geodatabase and import them back in.  And, of course, Collector uses AGOL to function.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Thiru_P
Regular Contributor

We had similar issue and found that our SDE database was locked out by a 'compress/index SDE' scheduled task. After terminating the hanging task, the SDE database was fine to accept user data submissions.

AzizTejan-Jalloh
Occasional Contributor

I have totally agree with Josh on his last post "SDE does seem to have lot of problems".. after a some of testing myself.

I have never run into these issues when publishing "hosted services" for use in Collector.

0 Kudos
IsharaKotiah
Emerging Contributor

If this helps someone out there...

I have been struggling with this un-informative message for weeks. I have archiving enabled (because I can't get versioning to work in offline mode), ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 and a web map on ArcGIS Online.

Users:

• could NOT update features while working online
  • could add new features
  • could work offline and synch their changes

After a process of elimination (on a 1.2 million record feature class) I discovered that the GlobalIDs had an issue. I deleted the GlobalID field and recreated it. It now works OK....well until the next Collector challenge!

0 Kudos