"Error occurred downloading map area"

Jump to solution
10-10-2022 05:13 PM
Rubicon
New Contributor II

I have a webmap with eleven AGOL hosted feature layers. The map and all of the layers are configured for offline use as far as I can tell according to this: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/take-maps-offline.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_C0331D55CAE1...

However, my coworkers and I are unable to download offline areas on the Collector app on both Android and iOS devices. The download immediately fails with the message "An error occurred downloading the map area". I tried creating a map package to download, and it failed to create the package after several hours.

Also, when I open the map on Collector, the data collection button (blue plus sign in the bottom right corner) is absent.

I have been creating and managing maps for Collector for two years and never run into this issue until now, and all of my older maps still work. I haven't changed my process for creating the maps.

I'm running ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.0 and Collector 20.2.2.

I am at a loss here and would appreciate any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

You should be moving to ArcGIS Field Maps. ArcGIS Collector retired at the start of this year on iOS and Android and will be removed from the App stores Nov 1 2022.

ArcGIS Collector on Windows is roughly equivalent to Collector for ArcGIS (Classic) and is in development hell. Better to use ArcGIS Pro on Windows 10 or wait until ArcGIS Field Maps is developed for Windows 11. I highlight this as testing ArcGIS Collector on Windows is not equivalent to testing iOS/Android.

So what I would recommend is:

• Open the web map in ArcGIS Field Maps web app (ArcGIS Online). There's a great new ability to see individual layer support for offline.
  • Try to create an offline area in ArcGIS Field Maps web app. You can then see the packaging job by interrogating the web traffic - see this post comment - and get informative information on why the job failed.
  • Or do it in ArcGIS Field Maps app. Enable logging and then try to run the offline/sync. Then check the logs.

Some common issues I have seen area:

• Layers added to the map more than once. You can't do this as the SQLite database can't have duplicate feature class names in the offline package. Solution is to remove the layers or create views and add them.
  • ArcMap published with definition queries (try searching for the article on this one)
  • Unsupported transformations. These are when they persist in the service e.g. WGS84 layer with transformations to another datum. Generally in earlier version of Portal for ArcGIS or with Collector on Windows

The logs or package results will help you narrow it down faster.

Collector doesn't recoginise maps without editing enabled. The data collection button being missing indicates the layer is off on the map or doesn't allow for feature creation (editor settings indicate delete or update, not add/create). Or something funky is going on. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

You should be moving to ArcGIS Field Maps. ArcGIS Collector retired at the start of this year on iOS and Android and will be removed from the App stores Nov 1 2022.

ArcGIS Collector on Windows is roughly equivalent to Collector for ArcGIS (Classic) and is in development hell. Better to use ArcGIS Pro on Windows 10 or wait until ArcGIS Field Maps is developed for Windows 11. I highlight this as testing ArcGIS Collector on Windows is not equivalent to testing iOS/Android.

So what I would recommend is:

• Open the web map in ArcGIS Field Maps web app (ArcGIS Online). There's a great new ability to see individual layer support for offline.
  • Try to create an offline area in ArcGIS Field Maps web app. You can then see the packaging job by interrogating the web traffic - see this post comment - and get informative information on why the job failed.
  • Or do it in ArcGIS Field Maps app. Enable logging and then try to run the offline/sync. Then check the logs.

Some common issues I have seen area:

• Layers added to the map more than once. You can't do this as the SQLite database can't have duplicate feature class names in the offline package. Solution is to remove the layers or create views and add them.
  • ArcMap published with definition queries (try searching for the article on this one)
  • Unsupported transformations. These are when they persist in the service e.g. WGS84 layer with transformations to another datum. Generally in earlier version of Portal for ArcGIS or with Collector on Windows

The logs or package results will help you narrow it down faster.

Collector doesn't recoginise maps without editing enabled. The data collection button being missing indicates the layer is off on the map or doesn't allow for feature creation (editor settings indicate delete or update, not add/create). Or something funky is going on. 

Rubicon
New Contributor II

Thank you! I was not aware they retired Collector. I downloaded Field Maps and that solved everything.