Post proceccing data from Trimble R1

12-07-2016 11:37 PM
Sveinung_Bertnes_Råheim
New Contributor III

We plan to buy a Trimble R1 to be used with collector for arcgis. The newest version of collector added support for high accuracy gps. I have understood that we can get realtime gps-messures with correction data (such as SBAS-support, EGNOS etc). Genereally, we need online-support to connect to the online correction services. But up north in Norway, we generally have poor EGNOS-coverage and often poor EDGE, 3G or 4G-support. Which means the normal situation for us i offline use.

To get high accuracy measurements with gps, we then need to post process the gps-data back at the office. To do the post proscessing, we plan to use the "Trimble Positions Desktop add-in" for Arcgis desktop.

What I have not found any answers so far is what we need on the phones (android or IOS).

Will collector be able to collect and attach these data in textfiles as long as it has contact with the R1?

Or do we need the app "Trimble Positions Mobile extension" to collect the post processing data, which then can be attached to collector?
Has anyone tried this? I would like to know. The mobile extension from trimble costs quite a lot of money, so it would be fine to not have to buy it.

13 Replies
Sveinung_Bertnes_Råheim
New Contributor III

Thank you again. We have an old Nomad, and we do have ArcPAD. But we stopped using this 1,5 year ago - seens we appreciated the collector system so much better.

But to collect high accuracy data without online services, it seems like we need to wait. I cant belive that we won`t get this kind of support in near future.

0 Kudos
AndrewMilanes
Occasional Contributor II

I'm sure it will be added at some point.  It's just not there yet.

LindaSyers
New Contributor II

im in the same boat as you, trying to find something compatible with R1 - between collector, terrasync, and arcpad.  we are using pathfinder office right now for our differential corrections (no R1 yet).   have you looked into TerraGo edge?  Right now this product has my attention because it is supposed to be cross platform and capable of syncing directly to the arcserver / arconline.  It is also supposed to be the best for offline data collection and correction?   Its $2500 for 5 users annually and would eliminate the need for collector, terrasync, or arcpad.  you can do it all in one.  

Check it out if you have a chance, might help you out.

0 Kudos
Jean-YvesLauture
New Contributor III

Before venturing into post-processing nowadays, you might want to consider how various receivers can handle SBAS (EGNOS) signals differently and maximize to full potential, both tracking and accuracy wise. #EGNOS works perfectly well in Norway with the Arrow 100 GNSS from Eos Positioning System . Attached is a map of #EGNOS ionospheric coverage and new satellite footprints (effective March 20th 2017, PRN 136 is going into test mode and is being replaced by PRN 123; see the EGNOS notice published yesterday https://egnos-user-support.essp-sas.eu/new_egnos_ops/sites/default/files/library/official_docs/servi... ).

New EGNOS Coverage map (effective March 20th 2017)

The footprints circles inn the above map start at 10 degree elevation. With the Arrow 100, you will need 14 degree visibility in order to do all-day forestry work in DGPS mode. For non forestry applications, all of Norway is properly covered with this 10 degree footprint and the #Arrow 100 will provide with about 60cm accuracy with 95% confidence. No need to port-process nor require access to an RTK network for true instantaneous sub-meter accuracy every second. This reduces time, cost, recurring costs and integrates the real-time workflow of collector running on a tablet or smartphone with iOS, Android and Windows. The #Arrow Series is compatible with all of them. Furthermore, The Arrow 100 uses all 4 constellation concurrently: GPS, Galileo, Glonass and BeDou. You may wish to Contact - #Eos Positioning Systems for a dealer in Norway and get a free trial of the Arrow 100 GNSS to see if it suits your needs. Remember... not all receivers treat and handle SBAS the same. Good luck. 

0 Kudos