Post proceccing data from Trimble R1

12-07-2016 11:37 PM
Sveinung_Bertnes_Råheim
New Contributor III

We plan to buy a Trimble R1 to be used with collector for arcgis. The newest version of collector added support for high accuracy gps. I have understood that we can get realtime gps-messures with correction data (such as SBAS-support, EGNOS etc). Genereally, we need online-support to connect to the online correction services. But up north in Norway, we generally have poor EGNOS-coverage and often poor EDGE, 3G or 4G-support. Which means the normal situation for us i offline use.

To get high accuracy measurements with gps, we then need to post process the gps-data back at the office. To do the post proscessing, we plan to use the "Trimble Positions Desktop add-in" for Arcgis desktop.

What I have not found any answers so far is what we need on the phones (android or IOS).

Will collector be able to collect and attach these data in textfiles as long as it has contact with the R1?

Or do we need the app "Trimble Positions Mobile extension" to collect the post processing data, which then can be attached to collector?
Has anyone tried this? I would like to know. The mobile extension from trimble costs quite a lot of money, so it would be fine to not have to buy it.

13 Replies
AndrewMilanes
Occasional Contributor II

To use Trimble Positions you have three software choices for the mobile device.  You can run ArcPad with the Trimble Positions Extension, ArcGIS Mobile with Trimble Positions Extension, or Trimble Terrasync.  All of that software only runs on Windows Mobile devices, so no iOS or Android devices will work.  Also, Collector will not run on Windows Mobile and you cannot store data to post-process later with Collector.  I have used all three of these on Windows Mobile devices and hands down Trimble Terrasync will be your best option, especially with post-processing data.  I'm not sure if you can post-process with ArcGIS Mobile either.  I know you can with ArcPad.  Also look at Pathfinder Office instead of Trimble Positions Desktop Add-in.  I have Positions and ArcPad Extension but wish I had gone with Pathfinder Office and Terrasync.

0 Kudos
Sveinung_Bertnes_Råheim
New Contributor III

Thank you for your reply. I am pretty sure it is possible to use Trimble R1 with IOS or Android devices and collect data for post processing. Tonight I read on the trimble web site about Terra Flex. This is supposed to work on IOS and Android, and it is supposed to support collection of data for post processing. http://www.trimbleinsphere.com/insphere/terraflex-data-collection.

Reading this also suggest a new solution,    Trimble catalyst, that is supposed to turn your mobile phone into a high accuray GNSS.

Another question for Andrew MIlanes: Whats not good with the Trimble positions Desktop Add-in?

I still would like to hear from people who have succesfully used the R1 with Collector and post processed the GPS-measurements. Or used the R1 with a mobile phone with different software than collector and collected positions for post processing.

0 Kudos
AndrewMilanes

I've seen demos on Terraflex and I don't believe it supports post-processing. It's basically Trimble's version of Collector. But if I'm wrong, I apologize. 

Trimble Positions Desktop Addin is ok, but has some quirks. Biggest issue I have is there is a lag in development for the extension relative to Esri releases. For example, the current version of Positions Desktop (which I currently have) still does not support ArcMap 10.4.1. Esri releases updates to ArcMap more often than Trimble updates Positions Desktop. I would rather have separate software (Pathfinder Office). 

GaleShea
New Contributor III

Andrew - you are correct, at this time the iOS and Android based collection softwares do not support post-processing. Both Collector and TerraFlex require real-time corrections when using external high accuracy receivers.

0 Kudos
JayRiester1
New Contributor III

To clarify, Trimble Positions Desktop Add-in 10.4.0.2 supports ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1 Basic thru Enterprise.  Yes there has been a lag in the past of Trimble Positions catching up to ArcGIS Desktop but it has gotten better.

The next release of Trimble Positions 10.5.0.1 is due out soon and will support ArcGIS 10.5 backwards to ArcGIS 10.1.

Stay tuned to our Seiler Mapping Support blog.  http://mapsupport.seilerinst.com/

Thank you,

Jay

AndrewMilanes

I've never seen Desktop Add-in 10.4.0.2.  Here is what is available to download from Trimble's website right now:

ArcMap 10.4.1 was released at the end of May 2016.  According to Trimble's current website, no support for 10.4.1 until November 2016.  So six months from Esri release to Trimble release.  Where would one download Desktop Add-in 10.4.0.2??

0 Kudos
Sveinung_Bertnes_Råheim
New Contributor III

Thats fine for me. But what we need to do business is to get support for saving raw GNSS-data when working offline. The offline functionality made the big difference on normal Collector use. The new high accuracy support will be a vehicle with three wheels until post processing gets available. Whether it is ESRI or the GNSS-supplyer (e.g. Trimble) that creates the app is of less importance.

0 Kudos
AndrewMilanes

I agree completely.  Hopefully this will happen in 2017 by Esri or Trimble.

0 Kudos
AndrewMilanes

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a cheap way to collect GPS data for post-processing.  You will need a windows mobile device running Terrasync or ArcPad (w/ Trimble Positions Extension) plus the desktop software (Pathfinder Office or Trimble Positions Desktop Add-in).  For the mobile device, take a look at the Juno series with Windows Embedded Handheld.  Trimble doesn't make the Juno 3 series anymore, but you could probably find one used for around $500.  Pathfinder Office or Positions Desktop is $1995.  You can start with the Standard version of Terrasync for $295 to see if that meets your needs.  It's $1295 for Terrasync Professional.  Good luck!