Point features are moving when we update attributes

Jump to solution
10-14-2014 10:58 AM
CassidyKillian
Occasional Contributor II

We are using the hydrant inspection app during our fall flushing season.  We have 3 field guys utilizing the app and they are editing the same feature service (from our Server).  We are noticing that when they fill out their tables and submit the updates, some of the features are moving?  Has anyone experienced this issue?  Is it because they are all editing the same feature service and collector is pulling faulty locations from the other users?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JerrySimmons_GISP
New Contributor III

Here is what ESRI says on the matter:

When the edit/collect panel is open on the iPad, the map can be interacted with at the very right edge, where the panel meets the edge of the screen. Reportedly, people often trying to select the  “>” icons to edit attributes, may end up moving the location of the feature. This explains your illustration of the features shifting location to North East direction (which apparently is the location of “>” icon in the Collector for iOS interface).

A bug has been submitted on this issue:

BUG-000082487 : In the Collector for ArcGIS application for iOS, tapping the right edge of the open panel interacts with the map instead of with the panel.

As of right now, the only workaround we have is to train the field collectors to be more accurate when tapping the arrows to change attribute values.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SeanO_Brien
New Contributor III

I'm not sure I can answer your question, but a little more info may be useful to someone who can.

1. Are the field collectors using offline editing, or are they connected to a network at all times (through 4G)?
  2. Are these pre-existing features being updated, or are they creating new features?
  3. Is there any pattern to which features are moving? (Like ones that have been edited recently)
  4. How much are the features moving?
  5. Are the features moving in a uniform pattern or randomly?
  6. What device are they running collector on? (iPad, Galaxy s4)
  7. Are the features archived and/or registered as versioned on the server?

I have to say that I am pretty impressed with multi-user editing of data in ArcGIS Online. I have tested editing data through desktop while simultaneously editing through Collector and ArcGIS Online, and it seems to work very well. The only thing I can think of right now is this - If the feature is pre-existing, the field workers may accidentally move features when they are clicking on the features to edit their attributes.

0 Kudos
CassidyKillian
Occasional Contributor II

Answers:

1. We are connected via VPN back to our network.

2. These are pre-existing hydrant inspection features that they are updating.  Some may be new feautres if the hydrant is not in the original layer.

3-4. It seems most of the features are moving Northeast, but the distance really varies.

5. The movement seems to be random.

6. The devices are brand new iPad minis

7. The features are registered as versioned.....I guess im not sure if they are archived?  The feature service is then hosted through our online account.

0 Kudos
JerrySimmons_GISP
New Contributor III

We are experiencing the same issue using default collector app, we just collected 200+ points and had 5 move upon updating.  Tried to re-create to see if it was user error but couldn't as the point is being moved too far out of the viewing extent, so it doesn't appear that the user is moving the point this far because the extent and location stay the same during and after the update is committed. 

1     Using offline and not connected to network all the time (service is hit or miss)

2     Updating features

3     The points are moving northeast of the original point, but not in any consistent distance for X or Y

4     Couple thousands of feet

5     (see #3)

6     brand new iPad Air (only one device at this time)

7     Feature is archived but not registered ours is also hosted via ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
DaleKersten1
New Contributor II

I have had a similar problem and wonder if the problem will happen when editing  or creating a point.  When the point is in edit mode a touch on the screen say on a drop down list or possibly on the update icon will move the point to a new location.  The loose points I am seeing are also to the north east which happens to be the area where I am touching the screen. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And there are no differences in the coordinate systems (defaults and how being collected) a North East shift suggests a datum shift for several datum changes, but the amounts tend to be several hundreds of meters.  what are your shifts?

0 Kudos
DaleKersten1
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
JerrySimmons_GISP
New Contributor III

I'm also finding that when in edit mode, where ever the screen is touched the point will be relocated there with no notification.  This is way to easy for a point to move for a unsuspecting user, there should be some code to acknowledge this relocation.  This might catch the underlying issue of the point moving when editing the attributes as well.

0 Kudos
JerrySimmons_GISP
New Contributor III

Here is what ESRI says on the matter:

When the edit/collect panel is open on the iPad, the map can be interacted with at the very right edge, where the panel meets the edge of the screen. Reportedly, people often trying to select the  “>” icons to edit attributes, may end up moving the location of the feature. This explains your illustration of the features shifting location to North East direction (which apparently is the location of “>” icon in the Collector for iOS interface).

A bug has been submitted on this issue:

BUG-000082487 : In the Collector for ArcGIS application for iOS, tapping the right edge of the open panel interacts with the map instead of with the panel.

As of right now, the only workaround we have is to train the field collectors to be more accurate when tapping the arrows to change attribute values.

0 Kudos
ShelbySouthworth
New Contributor III

If you click on the feature layer in "My Content" in ArcGIS Online, select "Edit", and scroll down to the bottom of the page. There you will find the "Properties" section of your layer, and as part of the "Editing" header there, you should select the second radio button reading "Update feature attributes only". This way your operators can select the hydrants without accidentally dragging them out of placeEditingOptions_AGOL.jpg

0 Kudos