Multiple location collection

12-11-2018 05:03 AM
ThomasButton
New Contributor III

Hi all. 

New to GIS and ESRI. I'm looking to set up a map to be used in collector for my field team to enable collection of new assets/locations that we may need to inspect further. I want/need them to be able to collect multiple new locations/assets click(tap) by click(tap) rather than having to add a new pint and then submit this. we are currently using a dated korec piece of software on a old windows surface that enables us to do this. But we are moving/have moved to ESRI for a more complete GIS solution and so we can manage workflows and data better.

To give some context to this, we fly areas of the UK by helicopter and collect data during the flight based on visual observations. I need the field officers to be able to tap in a location to add point after point. In some flights we can add over 100 points.

can collector achieve this for me 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Thomas,

> I want/need them to be able to collect multiple new locations/assets ... by click(tap) rather than having to add a new pint and then submit this.

In Collector for ArcGIS, you add new features by adding a new point, then submitting it. FYI, you can learn more about Collector by watching this 1 hour webinar: Field Data Workflows with Collector for ArcGIS

> To give some context to this, we fly areas of the UK by helicopter and collect data during the flight based on visual observations. I need the field officers to be able to tap in a location to add point after point.

Please take a look at this esri labs app, https://community.esri.com/community/esri-labs/blog/2018/07/13/introducing-quickcapture-for-arcgis. I think it might meet your needs.

Hope this helps,

ThomasButton
New Contributor III

thank you very much.Would i be correct in saying you can no longer track workers using the new Collector app but instead need to wait for the new app to be released in 2019.

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, you are correct that workers aren't tracked directly in Collector. Please see FAQ—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS which has details on this.

Esri Education Team
ThomasButton
New Contributor III

Hi Derek, can i presume some form of continuous collection will not come to the new collector app. The Esri Labs Quick Capture looks good but i need a large mapped area preferably of Ordinance survey 25k raster tiles with a layer to be edited on the fly and a fixed asset layer for reference.

My team need to be able to continuously add new points of the same feature as the helicopter flies over as we do not hover in flight. we do not have the time to follow more than 1 step to add a point.

i will continue to look for something that may fulfil our requirements, as we currently use a dated Korec solution but seems to be the only viable option currently.

cheers.

0 Kudos