Multi-selectable lists

02-02-2017 11:43 PM
ManfredRöhrig
New Contributor II

Hi,

our organization is working for the agricultural advisory services in Germany and as such, we are providing the advisors with  Collector and Portal for ArcGIS to collect field data on plant pests and diseases.

We are frequently using string fields in the feature classes that are restricted to a list of items using domains. The user then is able to select one item from the list. Now we have the use case that the users want to select one or more items (i.e. multiselect) from the list.

Does anyone come across the same use case and if yes, how did you solve it?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Manfred,

Have you considered using Survey123? It allows users to collect data through a web form or on a mobile device and it supports multiselect questions.

Multiple Choice Help: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/browser/create-surveys/quickreferencecreatesurveys.htm#ESRI_SECT... 

Youtube Tutorial: https://youtu.be/OFOEIJyMeho?t=1m4s 

A comparison between Collector and Survey123 can be found here.

Carmel

0 Kudos
ManfredRöhrig
New Contributor II

Hi Carmel,

thanks for your reply. Yes we did check Survey 123, but it lacks other for us necessary features:

1. Editing of existing data
  2. Support of related tables

The latter was also an issue in Collector (#BUG-000097876 - In Collector for ArcGIS (Android), when working offline, related records cannot be synced if the related records are added from a feature service referencing data in ArcGIS Data Store. The related record is created, but the GlobalID from the primary key is not copied to the GUID field. Therefore, the related record cannot be viewed as intended) which has been fixed in the 10.4.1 release of the Collector.

Manfred

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly3

I see!

I'm not aware of any other options except to maybe predefine all the possible options from the domain list (this could be very unmanagable), or to have this question repeated over multiple fields and then after data collection, collate these fields together into one field.

The second option is something we've done for Survey123 when using the Other option.

Carmel

0 Kudos
ManfredRöhrig
New Contributor II

Of course you could repeat the question, but this then is a static number (i.e. 10 items), which is either 'overkill' if I need only three or the user will call within the minute who needs eleven.

I dream of a checkbox list in the like of

Multi option list

Is there any option in using domain subtypes?

Manfred

EDIT: This question has been posed before: https://community.esri.com/thread/75429

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly3

Using domain subtypes might help but could lead down the same path of having a static number of questions for your end users. If Esri software can't manage it, is there an alternative way the data can be managed?

Carmel

0 Kudos