Missing Layers

10-05-2015 12:05 PM
JadeFreeman
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

We've created several collector applications so far and things have been working great.  We are using an onsite portal and ArcGIS Server 10.2.1. 

However, we recently deployed an ArcGIS for Server 10.3.1 site and when we try to include services from this new site, they do not show up when we open the map in collector.  In other words, the if I publish my service on our older 10.2 server, the layers work just fine including related records.  If I then publish the same service (same mxd, same underlying data source) to 10.3, the layer will not show up in collector.

My suspicion is that I am going to have to version my data for it to work in 10.3 even though I did not have to do this in 10.2 (server).

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Jade

0 Kudos
16 Replies
LeeBrinton
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jade,

Out of curiosity, from the mobile device that you are using Collector on, can you see the rest end point of the feature service that you have created in 10.3?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
JadeFreeman

Thanks for the help! Yes, I can reach the service from the mobile device, view it in AGOL etc.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
LeeBrinton
Occasional Contributor

mmmmm, I am thinking it could be one of a few things.

First, and maybe the simplest, on the iOS device, make sure map isn't set to offline. If it is, then maybe the new service isn't being sent through.

Second, check to see if the service is looking for "localhost" or the real server URL.

Lastly, I am curious to know if you're making a new web map for the service that is created by Server 10.3?

0 Kudos
JadeFreeman

Okay, I verified the map is not set to offline.  I checked in the portal item properties, is there another location to check?  You said "On the device" but I'm not sure where I look for that.  I suspect as the map is not offline enabled, the option to go offline doesn't exist.

The feature services in the map are "real" urls (fqdn's) and not localhost.   

It is a new map for the 10.3 services, the basemap is actually a 10.3 service and works fine.  In fact, if I understand the documentation correctly, I should even see the map listed in Collector on the iOS device if Collector didn't recognize that it had editable layers.

Finally, I have also enabled versioning and that does not work either.

0 Kudos
LeeBrinton
Occasional Contributor

So you cannot see the webmap in Collector?

0 Kudos
JadeFreeman

Sorry, that was misleading.  The webmap is visible in Collector.  So, Collector knows the map has an editable feature service in it so why it won't actually display those layers (neither on the map or in the table of contents) is beyond me. 

0 Kudos
LeeBrinton
Occasional Contributor

Oone thought could be back from when you mentioned that you were using Portal. Is the Portal set to SSL? If so then you will need to publish the services with SSL capability too, otherwise layers wont show.

Are you able to share the service?

Another thing, try logging into ArcGIS Online Assistant, once you have logged in you will see that near the top it will ask "I want to..." Select "View an item in JSON" and select the web map that is giving us an issue. With this open, look for the layers that we want to show in the map in Collector. If they do not show in the JSON then the layers may not be saving properly in web map.

0 Kudos
JadeFreeman

SSL are enabled for both the server and both ArcGIS Servers.

0 Kudos
LeeBrinton
Occasional Contributor

A simpler thing to check would also be the sharing options.

Make sure the web map and feature layer have the same sharing setting defined. It' possible the web map could be shared to a group that the feature layer hasn't been shared to.

This is also a really odd question, are you using a touch screen Windows 8 operating system? There was an issue where sharing in ArcGIS Online wouldn't propagate to all layers equally, from the web map to feature layers, when the user was on Win8 touch screen. I ran into this myself a few months ago... If the layers are not shared to the same level as the web map then that could be why we do not see the layers in Collector.

0 Kudos