Location Tracking with 10.2

12-11-2013 06:05 PM
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III
G'day All

Trying to follow the instructions at:
http://esri.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=051146f34aec4ef8ac228b5e6b2b8eac

At Step 8. I can see no Update Item option.
Actually, there is no Supported Options section at all.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks for your time
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you using Portal or AGOL to create a service?

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
GISSupport3
G'day Russ!

Portal 10.2.

Thanks
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
so you see your portal directory under portalname.esri.com/arcgis/sharing.
login under that directory to the account with the service item and go to user content.
find that item and click on it which will open up the user item.
At the bottom of that page you will see Update Item. Click on that link.
Then follow step nine where you replace the current text with the text that is in step 9 and click the Update Item button.

Once you have completed those steps under the directory you can go back to the portal site portalname.esri.com/arcgis   (no sharing) and login with the account you were editing the item info on. Then you can add it to a map save the map and under the map details you can edit the tracking intervals.

Let me know if this works for you
Russ
0 Kudos
GISSupport3
G'day Russ!

I can connect to https://mydomain/arcgis/sharing though I don't "see" any directories.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29843[/ATTACH]

https://mydomain/arcgis/sharing/portals/self returns a bunch of information.

Something else I have missed?

Thanks
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Sorry about that. When I login through the portal.com/arcgis/sharing it directs me to my content. You can also see it by clicking on the name of the user "logged in as:..." in the top right hand section of the page and then click on User Content in the Related Resources which are the last links on the page.

Russ
0 Kudos
GISSupport3
G'day Russ!

At least it gives me a line of attack to go on with.

I'll post back when I resolve the 'missing' /arcgis/sharing link

Thanks again
0 Kudos
GISSupport3
G'day Russ!

Some minor progress.

I can now see my details when logging into https://mydomain/arcgis/sharing

I have federated my ArcServer / ArcPortal and turned off Windows Authentication for the ArcPortal website.

I still don't see any Location Tracking Application Setting.
I suspect this may be due to not publishing the web service as Hosted?

I am currently getting errors trying to do this which I'll try and tackle tomorrow.
I see no services in ArcCatalog under My Hosted Services, except an empty Drafts folder.

Publishing a service ends with Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed. Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition)
No meaningful messages in the Geoprocessing Results window.

ArcServer says Error executing tool.: ERROR 001488: The service you are trying to publish includes data but the site has been configured such that data cannot be copied to the server. ERROR 001364: Validation of service definition failed. Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition). Failed to execute (Publish Portal Service).

I'll have our DBA look at the database user permissions.

Thanks again
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
You might need to copy that feature class into your SDE before publishing up an editable feature service to your ArcGIS Server. Or you could make a Service Definition file and add that your "My Content" in the Portal for ArcGIS and that can create a hosted service if you have the portal configured in that way.

I'll try to add a quick mock up with some screen shots as well that could help you out after you create your service.

Russ
0 Kudos
GISSupport3
G'day Russ!

OK, I can now see the Location Tracking Application Setting.

I created a Hosted service and added that to a Portal map all by itself.

There is some bug where the service publishing process thinks I haven't registered the data store, when I have.
The Publisher database connection string is different depending on how you register; ie ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD present or not.
For the sake of moving forward I allowed the Data Store Setting of allow data to be copied.
Not what I really want and one thing at a time.

If I add the location tracking hosted service to a map with non hosted services I don't get the Application Settings option.
This is expected?

I am trying to recreate my services as hosted services and ArcMap keeps crashing.
I have emailed the .dmp file to arcgiserrorreport@esri.com

Watch this space
0 Kudos