Is it possible to include non-editable features in a collector map that can be taken off line?

Jump to solution
09-12-2014 02:46 PM
MattMcGuire
Occasional Contributor

The "Preparing data for offline use" help document says that there are two possible configurations for feature access that will work;

• The read-only configuration (Query and Sync)
  • Editable data configuration (Create, Delete, Query, Sync, Update).

As far as I can tell, only the editable data configuration works.

Maps do not show up in collector unless they have at least one editable feature layer. The map I am testing has two feature layers. When both are fully editible, I can take the map offline. When one is set to the read-only configuration (just Query and Sync Feature Access), the map looks like it is available to take offline, but I get an error when I click the download button.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Read-Only data will only work with versioned data right now. You can disable editing on a layer in the web map and the app will honor this and the features will not be editable when taken offline even though the service supports full editing capabilities. For our 10.3 release we are planning to have support for  all of the different variations a feature service can have its editing capabilities set to for offline and support editing. Our 10.3 release should be out in November.

Russ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Read-Only data will only work with versioned data right now. You can disable editing on a layer in the web map and the app will honor this and the features will not be editable when taken offline even though the service supports full editing capabilities. For our 10.3 release we are planning to have support for  all of the different variations a feature service can have its editing capabilities set to for offline and support editing. Our 10.3 release should be out in November.

Russ

0 Kudos
MattMcGuire
Occasional Contributor

Got sync working and editing disabled on the supporting layer. We did have to make a copy of the supporting layer though because it wasn't set up with the same editing configuration. But it works.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III

So am I right in thinking that on my nice, shiny Collector app I'm about to give to officers, I cannot include other, read only, non-versioned layers as reference layers?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

In this release(10.2.7) you are correct. If your layers are versioned on a 10.2.2 server sync will work with the read only layers. In 10.3 release of server and the app you will be able to support the other variations of editing capabilities and editing with versioned data.

0 Kudos
AnninaHirschi_Wyss1
Occasional Contributor III

This question is about 3 years old, but as far as I know, it is still not possible to take a map offline, if it contains a Feature Service that is not editable.

Our customer has the following use case:

- An editable layer to collect features

- Admin boundaries, parcels etc. are non-editable, coming from another organisation/custodian, but are essential for orientation and data collection.

-> The currently only option is to re-publish the data as editable and then disable editing in the webmap (or create tilepackages to load on the devices, which requires storage...). This is not always an option, because these might be huge datasets and the custodian might not allow to republish. And in addition it consumes credits for nothing.

Is there a plan to allow non-editable feature services in an offline webmap?

Thanks,

Annina

collector‌

offline map‌