Installing Collector on windows 10 from Windows Store

10-20-2017 08:02 AM
Olivier_MOUGEL
New Contributor II

Hi,

I wanted to install Collector on my brand new tablet. So i tried to download from Windows (wondering that it wasn't on my.esri.com bakoffice). 

I didn't have sufficient right on windows (and internet network policies) to proceed.

I asked to my favourite system-admin and he made it quickly. But back to my windows session, i didn't see the Collector App. It would be very difficult to grant my right (in order to install Collector from Windows store) in my organization. As GIS Ing. I maybe will succeed but asking the same right for all GPS users will be impossible.

Any Ideas to find out a solution ?

Thank's

Olivier 

4 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Olivier,

If you are on Windows 10 and cannot access the Windows Store for any reason, you can download the Collector installation files after logging in to your Esri Account. 

Esri Downloads 

Regards,
Colin
DanTeleki
New Contributor

I have the same issue as Oliver. We are in a locked down environment where administrators are required to install our software. We are unable to use the Windows App Store, so my Admin did a side load install. Collector works fine under my Admin's login. When I log in, I see the Collector app installed and available in my Programs list, but it will not run under my login which doesn't have admin/install privileges.

Dan

0 Kudos
MarkBuie1
New Contributor III

I just went through the process of side loading Collector myself and found this article which says,

You don’t need to launch it as Administrator, as .Appx software is just installed for the current user account.

so it makes sense that it works for the Admin login, but no other login. I was able to get temporary sideload permissions and then double clicked the .AppxBundle file. 

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Another customer reported they were able to work around this by creating a shortcut:

1. Open the "Run" program in the start menu (Windows key + R)
  2. Type in "shell:AppsFolder"
  3. Find the Collector application
  4. Right click and choose "Create Shortcut"
  5. Press "Ok" to place it on the desktop
  6. Go to the desktop and copy the shortcut
  7. Navigate to "C:\Users\Public\Desktop" (This is a hidden folder)
  8. Paste the shortcut on the public desktop
  9. Have the user sign in and verify they can open and use the app
Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos