I cannot find any help docs on this button

Jump to solution
01-31-2020 08:38 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I cannot seem to find this button listed in any help file.  Never seen it before but it seems to do what I want better than Add does.

This button adds a related point visit and properly inherits both of my related fields. 

When I go to Related then Add it only ever inherits one of the fields.  And strangely it inherits the same field on both RCs.

So it does work better but I need to figure out why. 

For now I have been adding two relationships class - one for each field.  I would rather just have one as the users are confused - but would this still work?  What is the proper method to inherit multiple fields?

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

You are correct that it is the copy button (Quick reference—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation ).

If you're using it with an editable feature, it copies the form to a new feature placed at your current location (or a location you specify with the map: Capture > At your location with a duplicated form—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

If you're using it with features that are read-only or only allow attribute updates, it copies the form and the geometry to the new feature: Capture > By copying an existing asset or observation—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

It sounds like you are using it with a layer that isn't editable, and then picking one of your related tables as the target of the copy?

[Update so that this can be marked as the correct and and complete answer: That is what the button is. However, Doug's data was an editable feature class that was the child in a relationship. He was able to add features of that related type directly (and create orphans as a result) with that button because he had "Show related types" enabled in the Collector settings (see Configure Collector > Show related types—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation for details on the setting).]

Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I also just found that if I turn off my related fields from editing then they do not populate when using this mystery button.  Bummer as we do not want people editing and messing of the relationship.

But if a go into relationships then the Add button then the key will inherit the key.  But again only one of the keys.  

So why do these two buttons work so differently?  What is going on here?

Is there a way to fix this?  We need to inherit but not let them edit it as then it would no longer relate.

thanks

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Further testing it looks like it is the Copy button?  Then somehow it is inheriting that match fields.  But then I have to allow edits for it to work still.

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

You are correct that it is the copy button (Quick reference—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation ).

If you're using it with an editable feature, it copies the form to a new feature placed at your current location (or a location you specify with the map: Capture > At your location with a duplicated form—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

If you're using it with features that are read-only or only allow attribute updates, it copies the form and the geometry to the new feature: Capture > By copying an existing asset or observation—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

It sounds like you are using it with a layer that isn't editable, and then picking one of your related tables as the target of the copy?

[Update so that this can be marked as the correct and and complete answer: That is what the button is. However, Doug's data was an editable feature class that was the child in a relationship. He was able to add features of that related type directly (and create orphans as a result) with that button because he had "Show related types" enabled in the Collector settings (see Configure Collector > Show related types—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation for details on the setting).]

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No the layer is editable, just that one field is not checked to be editable since it is the Key.  It looks like if you copy, any field that is not checked as editable does not inherit.  But it does inherit across layers which is interesting.

So it looks like the only way to add a point, and have it pull in the relationship key is to pick the relationship, then use Add.  (It has been a bit difficult to train the user to not use the big blue plus sign to add data.)

The help link you supplied does not actually show the button I asked about anywhere.  I only figured it out since it looks the same as in the full pop up.

thanks

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Gotcha. Yeah, the full workflow for having records related in the right way is through the Add experience from the relationship. If you have a map where they should only be editing related things, and they can't add features to another layer in the map, the blue add button won't be there. You can see this in the hydrant map in the "Try it" experience.

(It's admittedly not easy to find, but in the section of the Quick reference talking about the panel and tools available in it, you will find the icon of the button, as well as finding it used in the doc about the Capture workflows it supports)

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Weird cause the related FC IS the only thing they can edit.  Yet I still get the Blue +.  Is there a setting somewhere?  I am on an Ipad with the latest Collector.

Also Collect Here does not inherit the Key either.  So there are 4 ways to add and only 1 is correct.

thanks

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

There is a setting that influences how related features can be used. When viewing the list of maps, tap the Profile icon in the upper-left corner. There is a "Related types" setting.

That can be enabled, which sets it to "all" (which means all types can be collected directly, thus not enforcing the appropriate parent/child relationships).

If disabled, you'll see a setting value of "Filtered" (which means related feature classes are filtered out of the list of types that you can collect directly, and instead they have to be collected through the parent).

So to force the relationships to be maintained by Collector (as it sounds like you want) you'd want to make sure that is set to "Filtered."

Esri Education Team
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I had changed that setting for another map I was working on.  I see now that the + is still there but if you tap it then it just says no layers to collect.  That will still help us though as now they can not add Orphans.  

Thanks a lot!

Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Here is the info on that setting: Configure Collector > Show related types—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos