Going offline or transfer custom base maps with itunes 12.x? (i.e. side-load)

Jump to solution
12-11-2017 09:56 AM
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I did an update to the latest iTunes yesterday, and after the update and on startup, a window popped up that said "apps" are no longer managed thru iTunes and only online thru the store (paraphrasing).  This makes the instruction for 

Go offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS   obsolete.  I could also not find the mapped iPad in my File Explorer.

So I think that would also break the instructions for copying a .tpk directly to you device as explained

Prepare basemaps for offline use—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS   and may affect use of other esri apps offline too.

Has anyone found a work around for this?  Am I the only one with this issue? 

Note:  older ipad (ios 9.x...can't upgrade to 10.x)...tried on both a Win7 and win10 machine.  I did not log into the itunes store when I tested.

Survey123 for ArcGIS

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

This had me confused at first too! Look for the new "File Sharing" option under Settings, after you select your device:

Screenshot showing location of new "File Sharing" settings in iTunes.

File sharing was basically the bottom half of the old "Apps" settings screen. Hopefully the documentation you cited will get updated with the new terminology in a timely fashion.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

This had me confused at first too! Look for the new "File Sharing" option under Settings, after you select your device:

Screenshot showing location of new "File Sharing" settings in iTunes.

File sharing was basically the bottom half of the old "Apps" settings screen. Hopefully the documentation you cited will get updated with the new terminology in a timely fashion.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I wonder if I didn't get that option because my ipad is too old (iOS 9.3.5) or because I haven't activated "home sharing"?  

I haven't upgraded my work computer to the latest itunes (win7 machine) yet, pending another solution, but I also don't remember seeing the "File Sharing" option on the list --on my home win10 machine -- either.

The system requirements still state Requirements—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS     

• iOS 8 or later

You phone is most likely iOS 10.x?  Did you have to turn on home sharing or do anything else?

btw...this time it did let me browse in file explorer (no drive letter), but only the picture folders...not apps.  I think this was the case in the past too.

0 Kudos
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

It looks from your screenshot like you are in the Library view. Even in the new version of iTunes, you still need to select your device to view it.

Look for the device icon near the top of Library view, and click on it:

You should then see your device's view, similar to my original screenshot.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ahh...that was an issue yes, thanks (been a while since I was on iTunes).  As mentioned, this version of iTunes (work) I have not upgraded yet so it now does show "Apps".  I will check at home tonight to verify it is all good, before closing out this thread.  Thanks!

edit:  Thanks for your help, Peter, James and Kylie.  I confirmed that the "File Sharing" will work with my older iPad on Win10 with the latest iTunes.  James/Kylie, please make sure the help pages for all affected apps (with offline capabilities like this) get updated.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for the reminder to update the documentation.

Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rebecca -- You can see the details on the steps for Collector here: https://community.esri.com/message/724644-re-unable-to-download-map?commentID=724644#comment-724644 

We are working to get our doc updated.

Esri Education Team
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Kylie, see my note above  (i.e. not "File Sharing" on my iTunes)

0 Kudos
PattiHaggerty
New Contributor III

I have this same problem however, I have tried to synch my iPad mini repeatedly and Collector, Survey 123 and my other apps that used to show up in the iTunes file sharing now are not there at all.  Totally blank.  What to do?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Patti, if the above options don't work for you, I suggest starting a new thread or contacting tech support. Otherwise you question may get lost in this thread.  I would suggest you include a link to this thread (so someone doesn't point you right back her) and mention these solutions and updated help....didnt help.   That will get you more response.  

Other tips can be found  https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback/blog/2016/08/15/community-news-and-tips-how-t...

0 Kudos