External Bluetooth GPS Receiver

Jump to solution
01-17-2014 05:56 AM
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III
Has anyone tried using an external bluetooth GPS receiver with Collector?  If so, how has it performed and what model/make is the receiver?  We're looking to get sub-meter accuracy using Collector and am curious if anyone has had success doing this.

Thanks in advance!
Tags (2)
64 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Very informative post. A colleague of mine suggested using this to pair a Garmin Monterra with an Ipad, I'm interested in any specific settings or steps folks can share with actually getting the BT pairing and getting collector to recognize it.

0 Kudos
Billy_K_Lemons
New Contributor III

If anyone has the names and contact info for one or more Geneq SXBlue distributors in the U.S., I'd appreciate having those. We're window-shopping for an SXBlue II + GNSS and want to pick the distributor we do business with.

The company hasn't been forthcoming with distributor information. All they have been willing to do so far is to pick a distributor for us and have that distributor call us.

billy.k.lemons@resourceanalytical.com

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3

Yeah Geneq hasn't ever been very responsive to our direct inquiries.

We go through GeoMobile Innovations out of Corvallis, OR for our iSXBlue and EOS Arrow units.  They are very responsive and helpful with sales and support.

Rich Ash is the sales guy we've worked with over there.  He's been pretty fantastic whenever we've had questions, issues, or even when we needed to rent some units for short term gigs.

Mobile Geographic Information Systems

Billy_K_Lemons
New Contributor III

Thanks, Michael. We'll look at that.

There is a dealer in Tigard, Oregon, too, Resource Supply, LLC, Resource Supply LLC.

0 Kudos
ScottWeisman
New Contributor II

The Trimble R1 has been a consistently great sub-meter unit. and if your in Florida you can use the FLDOT FPRN network for correction.

0 Kudos
lanseaucedric
New Contributor

Hi,

I am going to rent a GPS SX Blue 3 and use it with SBAS (EGNOS), in am in France.

Can you tell me the right accuracy in horizontal XY and especially in Z vertical.

Thanks

Cédric

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3

There are a lot of variables that can affect the accuracy, but with SBAS you are probably looking at a best case scenario of .5 meter XY accuracy and 1.5 - 2 meter vertical accuracy

0 Kudos
MattAlexander
New Contributor

Hi,

We are a rugged tablet and bluetooth GNSS receiver rental company.  Many of our rental clients use Collector on our field iPads paired to our Bad Elf GPS, Arrow 100 and 200 models, Trimble R1 and the iSXBlue II and III.  Also, some clients running their own tablets (iPads, Panasonic tablets, Samsung Android tablets) with Collector and just renting the GNSS receivers they need based on their accuracy requirements.  To help people with all the new GNSS receivers on the market, we conducted a field comparison test against known reference points in varying amounts of tree canopy to examine the accuracy of all the major bluetooth GNSS sub-meter receivers on the market.  You can read our results here http://anatumfieldsolutions.com/?p=2071 

Hope you find the results informative.

Matt

JenniferCarter2
New Contributor

I have been researching the same issue and I have found this company that states their unit will work at sub-meter accuracy

Comparison Chart | Eos Positioning Systems  they are spendy. He also stated that they work great with canopy cover. I have not tested it as of yet.  I also just found this unit as well and they are working with ESRI and the Collector app  Blog - Bad Elf

0 Kudos
FahadJahangir
New Contributor II

Did anybody used U-blox 'NEO-M8P' RTK with Arc collector?

0 Kudos