downloaded map automatically updates when connected

Jump to solution
08-07-2017 10:44 AM
HeatherSavage
New Contributor III

Just had a field worker come to me concerned that they were doing something wrong.  We had two maps downloaded with the same editable layers.  One of the maps was downloaded for offline use in case connection was lost.  The other, which made use of a public wms in the map, was not downloaded.  As it turned out, connectivity was not a problem during fieldwork, so they started editing the layers on the map that wasn't downloaded.  They were alarmed to find that when they switched to the downloaded map, the edits made on the other map automatically showed up.  My understanding is that as long as connectivity is available, even downloaded maps will show map updates, until connectivity is lost. 

Can anyone verify that this is correct?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Heather,

Thank you for sharing that information. This sounds like an unlikely scenario because Collector doesn't currently support any type of hybrid workflow where it performs an auto-sync when it detects network connectivity. Collector is either purely online or offline and requires a manual sync to either push or pull edits to online, even if the online and offline maps share the same services.

I performed a similar test on my end using iOS and Android and the edits I made to the online map did not get updated automatically in the offline map. I was connected to a stable WiFi network throughout that testing.

I have a few questions for you:

- What OS are they working with?

- How many times has this happened to them?

- Can we verify that at no point they might have clicked the 'sync' button?

- Are they the only user on that device?

- How much time passed between when the map was downloaded and when they opened it and saw this issue?

- What version of the app are they using?

- What type of device are they using?

Thank you

-Kevin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Heather,

Thank you for sharing that information. This sounds like an unlikely scenario because Collector doesn't currently support any type of hybrid workflow where it performs an auto-sync when it detects network connectivity. Collector is either purely online or offline and requires a manual sync to either push or pull edits to online, even if the online and offline maps share the same services.

I performed a similar test on my end using iOS and Android and the edits I made to the online map did not get updated automatically in the offline map. I was connected to a stable WiFi network throughout that testing.

I have a few questions for you:

- What OS are they working with?

- How many times has this happened to them?

- Can we verify that at no point they might have clicked the 'sync' button?

- Are they the only user on that device?

- How much time passed between when the map was downloaded and when they opened it and saw this issue?

- What version of the app are they using?

- What type of device are they using?

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos