domain values showing not domain description

Jump to solution
09-14-2017 06:14 AM
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

I was wondering if anybody knew why after upgrading to 10.5.1 our web maps that we use in collector are displaying the domain coded value when they are editing instead of the domain description. any advice how to get it back to showing the description.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

In AGOL, I click on the feature layer in the Content tab.  Then on the Overview tab, there is a Service URL link in the Layers section.  The Service URL page has a link to the JSON file located at the top of the page.

If you are using ArcGIS server, you will look for the REST services end point.  This documentation may help: An overview of geoprocessing REST Services

View solution in original post

26 Replies
ErikBlake

I should add that it seems only to be happening when in collector. when I edit thorough AGO and a browser the descriptions display how they should

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I have also noticed this.  This is when I am using the domain for symbology.  When I examine the JSON file for the feature, specifically the "types" section, the "id" and the "name" both contain the coded value.  The name should contain the code's description.

I always need to edit this section of the file as the publishing process fails to use the domain sort order.  While doing my typical editing, I noticed that the issue with the code being used in place of the description.  In my case, publishing was done with ArcMap 10.5 when I first noticed the name issue.  The sort order issue has been around since 10.2.

ErikBlake

Randy

Thanks for the response. I am in now way a programmer, so where do i find the JSON file after I publish the service to our ArcGIS Sever.

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

In AGOL, I click on the feature layer in the Content tab.  Then on the Overview tab, there is a Service URL link in the Layers section.  The Service URL page has a link to the JSON file located at the top of the page.

If you are using ArcGIS server, you will look for the REST services end point.  This documentation may help: An overview of geoprocessing REST Services

ErikBlake

Thanks a million! Randy.

0 Kudos
TerryIffland
Occasional Contributor

I am having a similar problem. I'm using a REST service to provide data from an SDE database.  The REST service is being supported by ArcGIS Server 10.22.

I've created a pop-up in AGOL that uses the domain value in the title.  When I view this in AGOL, the domain value description is displayed. When I look at the same feature via Collector on my iOS device, I see the domain code value.

I've gone to the REST service and looked at the JSON file as suggested, and I don't see a "types" field, "id", or "name" field in the JSON file.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We did find an issue with subtype codes displaying instead of descriptions in the latest Collector for ArcGIS on iOS (17.0.3). If you edit the field the subtype is assigned to, then the description is displayed. Once you submit that change, the field will show the code.

BUG-000108532 : The latest update to Collector for ArcGIS on iOS (17.0.3) shows subtype codes instead of descriptions in the feature's attribute table.

ErikBlake

Thanks Dan for the update. So to clarify, are you stating what the bug is? or is that the work around?

If you edit the field the subtype is assigned to, then the description is displayed. Once you submit that change, the field will show the code.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That is the behavior of the bug.

0 Kudos