Disable the GPS from automatically re-centering the map when collecting new features in collector?

12-22-2015 05:56 AM
BryanBingham
New Contributor II

Hi,

Does anyone know how the automatic GPS position setting can be turned off when collecting new assets?  I have field workers who are not always able to be right beside an asset they are collecting and it is frustrating for them to have to always have to re-center the map to add the feature.

3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

you can first tap on the location where you want to collect the feature and then tap then in the pin result you can choose to collect a feature at that location. This will use the pin location instead of the GPS location.

Russ

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Just want to add to this thread, as the advice above is unclear. In ArcGIS Collector 10.4 one must HOLD their finger  (not tap) on the screen before a little blue pin appears with a popup to allow you to place the point there without moving to GPS location.

AlinaTaus
Occasional Contributor

I am looking for a way to accomplish the same thing only I'm editing related data. The relationship is between two point feature classes. The workflow right now is: a user taps on an asset and chooses to collect a new inspection for that asset. The form opens up but the map will recenter and automatically assign the GPS location to the new inspection which is not what I want. I tried Russ's suggestion but the problem is my inspection will not be associated with that asset.

Thank you!

Alina