Collector on a Surface Pro using an Android emulator

11-21-2013 03:17 AM
ChrisPouliot
New Contributor III
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully installed the Collector app on a Surface Pro using an Android emulator?  I've installed an emulator called Blue Stacks but when I try installing Collector I get the error "Your device isn't compatible with this version".  Our organization will have a combination of Mac, Android, and Windows devices and I'd like to have a Collector strategy that allows us to use any of the three.

Thanks,

Chris
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
Chris,

Interestingly enough this is a question we recently asked ourselves on the Collector team. I'll get someone to compile our results and post them here.
0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor
Chris,

As a personal research project, I have successfully used Collector app on a Samsung Slate 7 using the same Android emulator Blue Stacks while I see some screen blinking on confirming or acknowledging dialogs.

Based on my experience with Android emulator, the message "Your device isn't compatible with this version" can be due to Open GL ES 2.0 support. You can go to Google Play store, search for an app called �??OpenGL Extensions Viewer�?� by Realtech VR, it�??s free and use this app to check OpenGL requirements. After you install the app, open that app, find the value for �??Version�?�, it would say something like OpenGL ES 2.0. If not, that could be Surface Pro or Android emulator issue.

As a side note, we don't officially support it. Hopefully my personal research note will help you a bit.

-Morgan
ChrisPouliot
New Contributor III
Cool!  I called ESRI Support first and they recommended I hit the forums since it isn't officially supported.  I'll try some of your suggestions.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
ChrisPouliot
New Contributor III
I installed that app and my Version is OpenGL ES 2.0.  And that is what it should be?
0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor
That is correct one. Is your Blue Stacks latest version?
0 Kudos
ChrisPouliot
New Contributor III
Yes, I downloaded Bluestacks two weeks ago.
0 Kudos
JasonWarzinik
Occasional Contributor
Anyone else try Android emulator on a Win 8.1 Lenovo ThinkPad2?  BlueStacks works, I can install Collector but when I click on a map to open it, Collector crashes.  The OpenGL tester mentioned above also crashes so I suspect that the Thinkpad's graphics card is not up to the task even though I can use ArcGIS Mobile for Windows on the device just fine other than the issue with GPS not working as expected.
0 Kudos