Collector error

11-12-2014 03:21 PM
TonyAlmeida
Occasional Contributor II

I currently have created a map service with Arcgis map service and using it with Collector. I have been able to create features in the map service with collector but all of the sudden i have been getting the following error when i try to create a feature.

"Feature is out side your work area". I am not sure what that means.

I only get this error if the map is downloaded the phone. I tried create feature on another phone that does not have the map download and the feature was created fine. I am lost on why i am getting the error on phones that have the map downloaded.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

Are the features outside of the boundaries of the map that you downloaded on the phone?

TonyAlmeida

I guess what is considered outside of the boundaries of the map? The current map show the whole world. if you are referring to the new features i create, no they are not outside the boundary of the features i added to my map. I have taxparcels layer in this map and i have a weeds layer that i can add points for certain types of weeds, i was able to. if there is any previously creating points outside the taxparcels boundary will this cause a error?

0 Kudos
AmandaOpp
New Contributor III

Like Bert said, it has to do with when you are initially downloading the map.  You choose the work area and then select the detail level.  My device makes me pick roughly less than 100 square miles and then when I go that large, I loose the capability to have more detail.  So your work area probably isn't the entire world.  Remove it from your device and choose the exact area you want to work in and then choose the detail level.  My IOS device won't let me have a download over 500MB or it errors out on the download.  Hope that helps.

TonyAlmeida

Amanda Opp thank you for a clear explanation. It's been while since I have download the map to my phone, which is still interesting because it was working correctly then all of the sudden i received the error. I will re-download my map and follow your advice.

If one wanted more detail level is it possible to load the date directly to your phone and by pass the "Download".

I tried the following the use base maps on your device but i was not able to get it to work correctly.

0 Kudos
AmandaOpp
New Contributor III

There are few experts out there that might answer this different but just from my personal use, the most 'detail' level that I get is 1:9000.  I download the map with a gray basemap and add the other basemaps as layers in ArcGIS online.  It tends to run a bit better and then I have access to several different basemaps in disconnected mode. 

I don't know of a way to load it directly to your phone so that I am unsure of. I do know that when I re-download the map (I remove only the features and download it fresh) that I am able to pick up a bit more detail.

The only way I know other than that is to keep your work area small and that will give you the ability to get better on your detail.    I hope that helps a bit.

0 Kudos
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Tony

Is the new feature outside of the map extent you chose to download?

0 Kudos
TonyAlmeida

I removed the previous download data from my phone. Then i re-download the map by zooming to my work area, then went to select the detailed area. The best detail area i could get was 1:15900. I tried to go in smaller but got an error/timeout. I was able to create a new feature now. Thanks Amanda

I am still curious on how to side load my own data. If anyone has any input on how to do this please let me know.

0 Kudos