Collector Doesn't Launch

01-17-2013 09:52 AM
MattKennedy
Esri Contributor
I followed the directions under Author a map for collection.  When I tap the link in the email on my iPhone (4s), Safari opens to a blank page, and the collector app does not launch.

Am I missing a step needed to make the Collector app "kick in" when I tap the link I email to myself?

Thanks,

MK
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you check that your web map has specific application settings visible on the map details page? These settings will show up when the map has an editable point feature service or the tracking layer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20816[/ATTACH]

Let me know if this helps you out.

Russ
0 Kudos
MattKennedy
Esri Contributor
Yes, it has those.  My web map has Routing, Measure Tool, and Basemap Selector.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you share the map link with me?

Thanks
Russ

*Update
Could you also clear your browsers cookies and data.
0 Kudos
MattKennedy
Esri Contributor
*Fixed*

Make sure to have Collector open in the background on your iPhone.  Then, when you tap the link to the map in your email, it opens right up.

Thanks to Russ for helping me figure this out.
0 Kudos
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
The collector shouldn't need to be open in the background , if it not running the browser should invoke the app and start it.
0 Kudos
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III
The schema link

arcgis-collect://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/{mapid}/data

{mapid} working map from AGO.

is supposed to open Collector on my Android HTC, but it initially took to me a choice of either the ArcGIS app or web browser.   So I then uninstalled ArcGIS and it's now only going to the web browser.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the Collector a few times and it doesn't fix it.   I've seen it work properly on a workmate's Android, but why the HTC isn't happy I don't know.  

I've tried clearing defaults on the web browser and mail and it doesn't fix the problem.

The workmates phone is a Samsung with Cyanogen mod and mine a HTC Incredible ICS.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you share the map with me? you can place it into a group and invite mobileios into it.

Thanks!
Russ
0 Kudos
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III
Done.

Note that this map is using a feature service published by our external ArcGIS Server.  That shouldn't make a difference though, should it.

And I have seen it work on another Android, it's just the schema defaulting on a HTC that might be the problem.

The ability to login to AGO in your next version of collector would be a workaround I guess.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Hey Peter,
I noticed the HTC browser acts differently compared to the other browsers. I noticed that it is prompting you to open the map in the ArcGIS for Android app or browser.

My Exact workflow.
1. Email myself the map details URL. Here is a sample
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id="ENTER MAP ID HERE"

2. Tap on the link and the option to open in the old app or browser will pop up. Select Browser and you can choose Always or Just Once. I tested both workflows and both worked. Setting it to Always will lower the number of prompts you get.

3. Prompt to authenticate on the mobile browser

4. After successful login on the AGOL site the Collector will be launched and be in the process of opening the map. This will then redirect the map to open in the Collector because it has been tagged with the application properties and has an editable point feature service present.

Hope this helps you out.
Russ
0 Kudos