Collector adds digits to number field

Jump to solution
04-20-2015 05:41 AM
JamesBond1
New Contributor II

Good morning.  I am wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and may know how to keep it from happening.  It seems to be new with Collector 10.3.  What is happening is: I have a number field (double).  When I input a number, Collector seems to be adding significant digits.  For example, if I input 55.55 and save and synch the data, then go back and look at the values for that feature, Collector will have changed 55.55 to 55.5499992370605.  It seems to only happen when adding the number through Collector.  If I add the number through the ArcGIS Online map interface, then it will leave the number as 55.55.

Thank you,

James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

You can use Float field instead of double field. After sync, ArcGIS Online shows correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

I can't reproduce your issue in online map (you don't take it offline) or offline. What device do you use? In Collector, does it happen in online map or offline map only?

0 Kudos
JamesBond1
New Contributor II

I am using an iOS device.  It only happens when I edit the feature attributes in the Collector app (I don't experience the issue when editing the feature attributes through the online (ArcGIS Online) web interface).

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Do you use feature service in ArcGIS Server or ArcGIS Online host feature service? If it is ArcGIS Server, what version?

Can you share your map to a group and invite the account Collector4ArcGIS into it? It could help us determine if it is service specific.

0 Kudos
JamesBond1
New Contributor II

I'm using ArcGIS Online to host the feature service.  I've added your account, so you should be able to access it.

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

I still can't reproduce the issue with your service. You can see two points above green ones that has been updated correctly.

0 Kudos
JamesBond1
New Contributor II

Actually, they only appear to have been updated correctly.  When you click the well point, in the pop-up you see 55.55.  But if you then click edit, you will see that the number that is actually in the field is 54.54999......

Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 7.22.54 PM.png

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

I can reproduce this issue now. It happens in offline map mode. That is rounding error of float field/double field. Internally we have an issue to track this. 

0 Kudos
JamesBond1
New Contributor II

Thank you for looking into this for me.  In the meantime, do you have any suggestions for avoiding or dealing with this problem?

Thanks again,

James

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

You can use Float field instead of double field. After sync, ArcGIS Online shows correctly.

0 Kudos