Capture text or numbers using camera on a phone

06-06-2019 12:53 PM
RichardRahe
New Contributor II

Working on a project with my water utility to use ESRI collector to document location and inspection results of water meters.  Most of this is simple to figure out but wondering if there is a way to pull a series of numbers or text from an image and populate into a field.  Not looking for a barcode reader.

Background: Our utility has about 12,400 meters that need to be inspected.  These meters have an identification number etched into them, black base with white numbering.  However they do not have a bar-code, that can be scanned.  Currently the inspectors are manually entering the 10 digit number and while most of this is accurately being entered there are some errors.  Having a way to add the data using the camera would be helpful. 

Examples of this type of function would be using the camera to capture your credit card number.  I found two related posts but they did not have answers, one was from 2014 and other from May of 2018.  

If the process does not exist in Collector is ERSI looking into ways to add this functionality?  While I would like to have it for my current project I also know that there are additional projects in the pipeline that could use this functionality. 

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Richard,

> ... wondering if there is a way to pull a series of numbers or text from an image and populate into a field.

Text recognition in images is not currently possible in Collector for ArcGIS. Please submit an enhancement request on the ArcGIS Ideas - Collector for ArcGIS. In this way, we can gauge the level of interest from the user community.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos