Autopopulate coordinates

10-20-2016 09:40 PM
XingLee
New Contributor II

Hi,

The theory is that you can autopopulate the coordinates when using Collector. I have followed all the instructions using: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/collector/ios/create-maps/gps-config-metadata-storage.htm and I am running a Bad Elf GPS Pro with the latest version of Collector on iOS but still nothing. No fields are autopopulated. am I missing something?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JayRiester1
New Contributor III

I have learned the following.  After you have created the GNSS Metadata fields for Lat and Long you need to edit them.  Go to your Map Screen and per each Feature layer go to Pop-Ups. Then edit Pop-Ups and make them both 8 decimal places.

Hope this helps.

Jay

0 Kudos
XingLee
New Contributor II

thanks jriester13 for the reply but I don't have that option in Portal. I can only add up to 6 decimal places when I configure each field in the popup. I created my original file in a fgdb so when I made the field double I had not option to choose what how many significant digits to store (not that I think it should matter for this!)

0 Kudos
GaleShea
New Contributor III

If you do find a work around... keep in mind that having more significant digits than your hardware can actually measure - implies more precision than is present in the data.

Approximate distances captured in significant digits:  

5 sig digits in DD - 0.00001 [or DMS 0 0' 0.036"] is ~1 meter

6 sig digits in DD - 0.000001 [or DMS 0 0' 0.0036"] is ~0.1 meter

7 sig digits in DD - 0.0000001 [or DMS 0 0' 0.00036"] is ~0.01 meter

8 sig digits is well beyond handheld mapping hardware and software capabilities. 

JayRiester1
New Contributor III

Xing,

Have you asked Esri Support if this is a bug with Portal not allowing the GNSS Metadata to populate? 

Maybe try and uninstall of Collector and reboot the device and install a clean version of Collector.

I am not using Portal as I am only using ArcGIS Online.

Thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor

6/21/17 Updated with correct link to Collector-Tools on GitHub, GitHub - Esri/collector-tools: A set of python scripts and geoprocessing tools to automate common ta... 

Please visit GitHub - Esri/collector-tools (GitHub - Esri/collector-tools: A set of python scripts and geoprocessing tools to automate common ta... ) for a collection of scripts and tools to perform Collector specific tasks related to the Collector mobile app including: 

Use the above CollectorUtils.tbx when working through workflow outlined in the documentation - Configure GPS metadata storage—Collector for ArcGIS 

Cheers,

Denise

Apps/Mobile Technical Lead

Esri Support 

0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor

Esri Collector Tools has been updated to include support for two new metadata attributes (CorrectionAge and Station ID). 

MandiraPhuyal
New Contributor II

Does this ProjectZ tool auto populates the x, y, z coordinates using its original metadata source or it just re-project the coordinate system and recalculate the x,y, and z for the same data but based on their new coordinate system? Actually, I have numbers of GPS points stored in a geodatabase, they were collected using the Collector. However, they all have empty or <NULL> X, Y, Z fields while they are inside the geodatabase  (I have no idea why?). I was asked to extract coordinates (x, y, z) using its metadata info, specially the Z, but no idea where do I get that metadata info!! I tried running ProjectZ tool, ran successfully but all fields came out blank as the original. Is this the issue of collector when collecting the data but not populating the metadata fields, or this happened while uploading the data to geodatabase or something else??? I would appreciate any suggestion. Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
MTorres
Occasional Contributor

bump

0 Kudos