attachments are stripped during sync process

04-05-2016 02:01 PM
ChristopherBenson
New Contributor II

I have a web map with point, line, and polygon data collection layers for Collector use.  This map has been in use since last June.  Data collection features are collected offline in the field, and synced back to the ArcGIS Online database.  Each point feature was collected with a photo.  All of these photos have disappeared from the AGOL feature layers when either viewed on desktop, or downloaded as a file geodatabase!  Also, Android devices collecting data using this web map are unable to sync any photos back to the AGOL database (the features make it, but the photos are stripped), whereas on iOS devices, everything works fine.  This is a serious issue,as we are collecting inspection documentation.

Any solutions?

Chris

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Chris,

It sounds like you're encountering an interesting issue. I have a few questions to try to understand what may be going on with your field edits between Collector, ArcGIS Online, and Desktop.

When you synchronize your edits, do you receive any error messages? When you say this map has been in use since last June, do you mean the web map has been in use or the offline map on your device has been in use since June? Is this issue specific to one device, or are you seeing the same behavior on multiple devices? You stated that the attachments disappear when you view the data in Desktop or download it as a file geodatabase. Do the attachments still appear when you view this feature layer in the ArcGIS.com map viewer?

These questions should help me better understand what is happening with your data, but it can also spawn more questions as well. Please feel free to elaborate further on information that you believe may be related to this issue, such as your field workers' workflows and how you are downloading and consuming this data in other clients.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
ChristopherBenson
New Contributor II

Hi Scott,

When we synchronize there are no error messages.

With regard to the web map, I am referring to publishing of the web map in

AGOL, and data collection to that web map since last June.

Yes, we are seeing the behavior on Sony and Samsung Android devices. When

I tested with an iOS device, everything worked normally.

No, the attachments are simply gone - we have not found them anywhere in

any form.

We tried a test using the same devices with a new web map created

yesterday, and new photos attached properly. I have a hunch that this

might have some correlation with the new 'Advanced Offline Options'

capability, but that is based only on an observation that in the 'old' web

map, these options are all grayed out (for the owner and administrators

too), whereas in the 'new' web map created yesterday, they are all active.

This still does not explain the disappearance of many photos taken over

several months that were being stored on the AGOL enterprise database.

We checked other data collection feature layers and associated web maps

that have also been functioning since last summer, and those photos appear

to be present, so the problem appears to be related to a single set of data

collection feature layers.

Chris

0 Kudos
ChristopherBenson
New Contributor II

Scott,

Here is another interesting wrinkle. I looked at the 'Usage' tab on the

affected feature layer and here is a screen shot:

What are "Requests"? I checked a few other feature layers, and the numbers

are typically 2 to 4, not over 1,000. This seems very odd to me.

Chris

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the clarification, that is helpful. You mentioned that the web map in question has its Advanced Offline Options grayed out. Is this the case for your other web maps that have been functioning for the same period of time? It sounds like you're not seeing the attachments back in your hosted service, but do they remain on the Android devices you initially collected them on?

It may be helpful to open a case with Support Services so one of our analysts can assist you in determining the cause of this attachment issue. If you need assistance in creating a case please let me know.

In regards to the Requests in your Usage Statistics, this will show how many individual requests have been made on that service. When working in a connected environment, a request will be any HTTP request made to your service. This can be a query for features or an add/edit of features. More information on Usage Statistics can be found here under Published Content: http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/view-status.htm#LI_F2DE59252F254607A98EC709E788541...

-Scott

ChristopherBenson
New Contributor II

Scott,

I filed a support services request last Friday - still have not heard from

anyone, although I have a case number.

The number of requests is disturbing.

Chris

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Chris,

Could you share the case number with me? If you'd prefer, a private message would suffice. I will look into it and make sure an analyst contacts you today to begin investigating this issue.

In regards to the second comment, is this feature service publicly accessible? Have any of your field workers made edits or viewed the data while still connected, prior to downloading it for offline use? These are possible reasons for an elevated number of requests as you've seen.

-Scott

0 Kudos
ChristopherBenson
New Contributor II

Here you go: Esri Case #01762686 - Android device Collector App10.3.7

I'm taking off soon, so tomorrow will suffice.

This feature service is only accessible to a small group within my agency,

and used by only a few people in that group. Yes, users have viewed the

data while still connected prior to downloading.

Chris

0 Kudos