Dual Collection - Stream Lines while adding Points

04-27-2015 08:11 AM
deleted-user-FYWnb7WVNuhY
New Contributor III

We need the ability to stream a line while adding point features using Collector.  I need to be able to drive a newly built road or a road underconstruction and stream that line into collector as I drive.  While its streaming I need my passenger to have the ability to add points of road closures, signs, construction, with out stopping and starting the streaming feature.

https://geonet.esri.com/message/453114#453114

34 Comments
erica_poisson

My organization has a similar need to stream trail locations while being able to collect point of interest information along the trail as we go. This seems like a basic functionality that Collector should be able to accomplish. To get around this we are logging tracks in our Bad Elf app, but there require export to GPX/KML. Would be great to have this integrated into one Collector map.

AnnaSan1

Our Vegetation and restoration group uses Collector for data collection of points and linear features. However, they also track the length in distance of where they worked on. In order to do this, they use Avenza to track their progress They also use Avenza for tracking their transect lines during surveys, while simultaneously record point data. 

If Collector had the functionality to collect lines or tracks a the same time as being able to record points, we would not need to use Avenza and take out the extra data management aspect of this workflow.

RoyceSimpson

This is crucial to one of our workflows as well.  Our user would like to be able to stream a line as they walk for linear mileage on a trail but then add discrete points for things like "drain cleared" or "steps" or "rock work" or "tree felled" etc... all at the same time.  No starting and stopping the stream to collect each point.  That's not an option.

George_Thompson

You may want to look into ArcGIS QuickCapture when it is released very soon. I saw an overview yesterday and it looks like it may meet what you need.

Ismael Chivite‌ - FYI

MartinSlimin1

Hi George

We are well aware of Quick Capture and were hoping some of the concepts proven there would be ported across to Collector. The limitations of Quick Capture would mean resolving 1 issues while introducing 10 others, it simply not a viable business solution for the majority of use cases, but Collector could be by just resolving these few outstanding niggles; but unfortunately at the moment it is not either.

Come on ESRI start listening to your users, Collector has been you flagship mobile solution for many years now and yet it is still not fit for purpose. We simply cannot confuse our field staff by expecting them to move form app to app every time there is a little nuance in the data collection workflow. There are plenty of other solutions which perform what we need, but they will integrate seamlessly with our ESRI enterprise, so whats so hard in giving us something which does both.

Thanks

Martin

SamGuilford

Hello,

We have the need to stream tracking with Field Maps and collect points along the way for research purposes. I realize this thread is for Collector (from 2015!), but as I understand it Field Maps is the successor to Collector - is this on the development roadmap at all? QuickCapture is great, but we need a map-based solution and Field Maps does what we need except for this. This seems like such a basic functionality for a field data collection tool!

Thanks,

Sam

SusanPollard

This functionality is available in QuickCapture why not field maps??? Seriously why is this not a function of field maps when it is a pretty basic function and requirement to see the line track in real time as a single stream while collecting other data . It has been a major road block for users who prefer to use other products such as Avenza that allows collection all in one app.  QuickCapture doesn’t allow offline or we would switch to this and ditch field maps. Esri please listen to your field map users who have requested this function for some time now.

SusanPollard

Please explain why QuickCapture can and Field maps can’t. It is definitely a show stopper for our team. I would like to use field maps but will have to look for a better product if this function request continues to be ignored. We need continuous simultaneous collection with offline capability.

Kieranmg

Any comment from ESRI on this? Surely this is on your road map for Field Maps?