Collector Features

05-26-2014 11:29 AM
JoshuaReam
New Contributor II
I have been field testing the collector application with amphibian sampling programs in Alaska. So far the program has worked pretty well, but additional functionality would really improve the program's value to our program. Here are some recommendations:

1. The ability to view attribute tables and to search through features. Currently there is no way to easily view and edit overlapping points. 

2. The ability to easily bulk export attachments through arcGIS online. This function should automatically label photos with a unique identifier. 

3. The ability to add "select multiple" fields in the data forms. Or maybe this is already possible?

4. The ability to attach audio to a record. We often record frog chorusing as a valid voucher. It would be excellent if we could link this to the collected records. 

Thanks!
2 Comments
ZachAnderson2

I strongly second the idea of being able to pull up an attribute table. My main desire for this is point that are accidently moved.  This issue is discussed briefly here https://community.esri.com/ideas/11861

When the "Collect a new feature" pane is extended, there is a tiny slice of map above it and below the main ribbon of tools/options. It is a common occurrence for me to accidentally click on this tiny sliver of map while attempting to hit the basemap button. The result is that the point I'm actively editing gets moved to a place that is almost obscured from view on the map and I typically don't notice till I move to the next location, by which time I have no idea where the last point went and now I must search for it via the map interface. This presents a serious challenge because the miss-located point could be hidden among other points that look just like it or, depending on the zoom level I was at when I moved it, it could be in a completely irrelevant place that I wouldn't think to look.  If I could pull up an attribute table, highlight the last record and say "zoom to," then I could easily locate the point and move it to its proper location. Yes, I know, I could be more careful and make sure the last part of my work flow before submitting an edit is to click the GPS icon so the point zooms to my location but adding attribute table functionality seems like a no-brainier. Either that or the gap above the “Collect new feature” box and below the top of the screen needs to go away.

ScottPrindle

Hello Zach,

Have you signed up for the https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/collector-for-arcgis/blog/2017/09/06/the-auror... yet? I bring this up because some of your concerns about accidentally moving points due to that tiny sliver in Collector are addressed in the beta. It's still in the works, but there are many design changes going into it that may address some of your other concerns. Being in the Early Adopter's Community is also a great way to make sure your voice is heard, since the Collector development team is active in addressing feedback as beta testers put the app to the test.

Thanks,

Scott