Bring back location tracking in Collector

03-21-2019 05:01 PM
JakeJacobs
Occasional Contributor III

The new collector (Aurora) no longer supports location tracking. ESRI has promised a new app with better tracking.  In the mean time we are using Workforce in the background, but it only works when connected.

The new functionality might be super but all my users are asking to see just their own breadcrumbs in Collector, not everyone else's, like they used to be able to do in ArcGIS Mobile for Windows.

In that app the breadcrumbs were visible to the user but were only synced up, never down from the server to the local map.  It actually worked out really nicely for everyone.

44 Comments
PaulHoefflerGISS

Stephen Bryce‌ may have more information on this, as well.

PaulHoefflerGISS

As an update, I did receive a response from Colin Lawrence‌ to my email to collector4arcgis@esri.com:

"We do not have a firm timetable for Tracker integration within Collector. You are correct that it is scheduled to be supported in ArcGIS Online for the September release, however, it is likely further work will need to be done on our end. We do plan on having this as a part of a beta release if you are interested in being included in that."

by Anonymous User

As pointed out, the issue is not the new Tracker - I'm sure many customers will find it useful. The issue is Esri removing features from apps that people used and then charging us for it as part of a "better product". We don't need all the fancy stuff Tracker will have. Having Tracker run in the background and use less battery is a great idea - make a free version that is feature-limited and still allows your customers to view breadcrumbs. Esri is a multi-billion dollar company. We shouldn't have to spend thousands of tax payer dollars to see where people went with an iPad. Make a free version of Tracker. If people need the full functionality of Tracker, than can upgrade and pay for it. But don't just remove features from apps and then turn around and charge people for it. That's a really crummy thing to do to your customers.

PaulHoefflerGISS

In the Federal environment we're not able to purchase Tracker for ArcGIS licensing at this point, if we wanted to.

And since it's not supported in ArcGIS Online currently, it wouldn't support 99.9% of USFWS use cases.

As long as we're running two apps, there are certainly alternatives to Tracker - with other trade-offs, but they seem more and more palatable...

Or keep running Collector Classic until this is all sorted out and all of the apps are further developed to integrate as it's stated is planned, etc. etc...

PaulHoefflerGISS

Jeff Shaner‌, is support for Tracker for ArcGIS in ArcGIS Online planned at the October 1 update?

If not, will it be at least another quarter, or are incremental updates made to ArcGIS Online?

Thanks!

JamesCrandall

I'm running into issues when querying against the viewer service using an input geometry to select point features that intersect/within that input geometry.  Basically it is returning the incorrect number of features.  However, if I use the same exact input geometry on another hosted feature service it correctly applies the selection and returns the expected features.

Both point feature services are in WKID 4326 and the input geometry the same.

Is there any potential issues with using an input geometry when querying a tracker's viewer service?

by Anonymous User

Please email the tracker4arcgis@esri.com alias with more details such as the version of Enterprise and the exact query or steps to reproduce the issue and someone can investigate.

JamesCrandall

Will do Aaron -- thanks!

JamesCrandall

We do not have Enterprise and the hosted feature service is not shared publicly (only within our AGOL org).  There's nothing special about the query against the REST service, just using the ring of a known polygon that encompasses several of the tracker point features.

"features": [
    {
      "geometry": {
        "rings": [
          [
            [
            ],
            [
            ],
            [
            ],
            [
            ],
            [
            ]
          ]
        ]
      },
      "attributes": {
        "OBJECTID": 3
      }
    }
  ] 

The only real difference is that the tracker service is in WKID 4326 vs. the typical AGOL 102100/3857 spatial reference.  But I know the ring is correct as I can select point features from a different hosted feature service with points in a similar area and the result is correct using that ring as the input geometry.

PaulHoefflerGISS

Tracker for ArcGIS in ArcGIS Online was not released in October.

Has anyone heard if 7.4 in December will add Tracker?