Why do my static models become squashed when aligning shapes to terrain?

Jump to solution
04-20-2020 02:06 PM
JackCurran
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I have a scenario where I am importing a set of building footprints from a fGDB and adding static models on to each. When I'm working at y=0, everything is fine (apart from the house models obviously being below the terrain). This can be seen in the image on the left.

However, when I select the footprints and align them to the terrain, the house models become squashed. Why is this? I'm not doing anything clever here - I'm simply importing a model based on the start rule of the building footprint (no scaling commands involved), so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious! It doesn't matter whether I align the shapes to the terrain before or after generating the models, the results are the same.

Can anyone shed any light on this please??

Many thanks in advance,

Jack

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidKossowsky1
Esri Contributor

Hi Jack, I'm guessing that you may have converted your models into shapes.

Try this:

1. Click on Shapes > Align Shapes to Terrain...
2. Under Align function > Select Translate to Maximum

If that works, then you can use any of the Translate-based align functions (not the Project-based align functions) to align your objects to terrain.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JackCurran
New Contributor III

Hello! Just bumping this one - did anyone have any thoughts? I haven't been able to solve it and it's really puzzling me...!

0 Kudos
DavidKossowsky1
Esri Contributor

Hi Jack, I'm guessing that you may have converted your models into shapes.

Try this:

1. Click on Shapes > Align Shapes to Terrain...
2. Under Align function > Select Translate to Maximum

If that works, then you can use any of the Translate-based align functions (not the Project-based align functions) to align your objects to terrain.

JackCurran
New Contributor III

Thanks David - that's what I was after!