Web Scene lighting issues

05-21-2015 12:26 PM
GarrettRauck
New Contributor

Hi,

I am having trouble with the scene lighting when I export to 3ws. These are the symptoms:

-The scene is quite dark, even at noon

-Only the side facing the sun is really lit; there doesn't appear to be any ambient illuminance.

-When I turn shadows on, it gets even darker and the buildings cast really long shadows and many of the shadows look incorrect

In previous versions of my model that I exported, the scene lighting is fine (it is nice and bright and the shadows cast correctly). As far as I know, the scene light settings are the same, with the same coordinate system, and time zone, etc.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Were they both made in the same version of CityEngine?

If you think nothing has changed, try restarting and re-exporting.

0 Kudos
GarrettRauck
New Contributor

Yes, they were made in the same version.

I have restarted and re-exported many times without luck.

UPDATE:

Also, when the 'Sun position source' in CityEngine is set to 'Time and Month', the lighting/shadows seem fine within CityEngine. But the WebScene still has issues when the model is exported.

UPDATE 2:

See attached imgs of shadows on vs. shadows off. The time is 12:30pm, the month is June.

0 Kudos
GarrettRauck
New Contributor

Chris,

I think it's a coordinate system issue.

Can you direct me as to how to choose the correct coordinate system for my model?

Garrett

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Actually, I'm mainly a 3D modeler from a non-GIS background (architecture), and I'm not well versed in coordinate systems (yet). Maybe one of the other forum people might have an answer.

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

Where in the world is your model?  Try using the UTM zone - look up here..... NGA: (U) The Universal Grid System (UNCLASSIFIED)

If the coord system is explicit in the data ArcMap will pick it up if you drop the data in there (indeed CE should too).

If the data is in WGS84-LatLong I don't think it's supported by CE, you'll need to reproject into a system with metres as the base unit.

I would've though the default 'raw metres' system in CE should give sensible lighting for most models.

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Maybe you are using 'head light' instead of 'scene light' in CE? Did you try and toggle the light type with 'l' (lower case L) ?

Matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

twitter: @MattB3D

-------------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

matthias.buehler@garsdaledesign.co.uk

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

0 Kudos
GarrettRauck
New Contributor

I was able to fix the issue by correcting the coordinate system.

Though, that is interesting about the lower case L vs. upper case and is useful information for the future! Thanks all!

0 Kudos