Some CE and web viewer questions

01-13-2013 10:08 PM
CarlBester
New Contributor
Hi all,

I've got a couple of questions about CE that I can't find the answers to. Hopefully someone can help me.

1: How dynamic is CE and the web viewer? For example if I want to see changes made to the geodatabase of the scene, do I have to re-create the whole CE layer, re-assign the CGA-rule and republish the scene? Or is there a way to that this can be done dynamically?

2: If features are added or edited in a FGDB, is there a way to refresh that layer in CE in order to see the changes in my CityEngine scene?

3: Is there a way to change the layout display of a web viewer? For instance change the logos and theme colors?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated,

Regards

Carl
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

1]
A .3ws file is an exported 'container', which cannot be dynamically updated. You NEED an other export. Though, using Python scripting you can automate this process by e.g.
- Opening a scene
- Import GDB
- Assign Rules
- Export to .3ws

2]
Refresh is not yet possible. A reimport is needed.
[We're working on tighter workflows.]

3]
This will be possible once a public API becomes available, but this will take some time.

If it's only some icons and colors, you may also try and browse through the .css files in the webviewer's folder (ce.lib project in the CE Workspace). Note there's no tech support available for this mission .. 😉

Matt
0 Kudos
CarlBester
New Contributor
Thanks! I'll try with Python.
0 Kudos
XudongJin
New Contributor
Hi !

3]
This will be possible once a public API becomes available, but this will take some time.

If it's only some icons and colors, you may also try and browse through the .css files in the webviewer's folder (ce.lib project in the CE Workspace). Note there's no tech support available for this mission .. 😉

Matt

Hi, Matt,

When will a public js API be available?

I am also very interested in this topic.
As you mentioned, 3WS is a static Container, so I plan to use ajax to bring some dynamic fields(attributes) of object when user select an object. However, I find it is a painful process to do that without a proper js API.

Thanks,
Kevin
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi..

sorry, I cannot share a release date. it'll take some time.

but once out, I know you guys will go crazy. 🙂

m.
0 Kudos
XudongJin
New Contributor
hi..

sorry, I cannot share a release date. it'll take some time.

but once out, I know you guys will go crazy. 🙂

m.

It is good to know that you guys are working on it.:D

BTW, I do have one project which requires to tweak some code in the dojo.js file of Web Viewer.  There is one thing I want know. Whether will it violate the license of ESRI, if I use a modified ESRI's dojo.js in my products? :confused:

Thanks,
Kevin
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi,

no, you can edit it, should be no problem.

it's just your risk if it does not work technically and you get no official tech support for this. ok ?

so you're good to go .. 🙂

matt
0 Kudos