Share Scene Layer Package-what projection?

09-27-2016 07:43 AM
deleted-user-OlpHy1NoMNug
Occasional Contributor II

When exporting to a Scene Layer Package in CE what coordinate system should I be using.  I've been working in our State Plane but when the scene environment is set to global scene the data is way off and when it's set to local scene you can't use the ESRI basemaps.

Scott

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

Pretty sure it's Web Mercator / EPSG 3857.

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Scott Aulen,

Due to the big distortions of the Web Mercator / EPSG 3857 projection it is not recommended for working with CityEngine. If possible, use the UTM coordinate system of your area. For the upcoming CityEngine release the support for State Planes has been improved. 

For ESRI basemap support in the web viewer, you should set 'Create a global scene' on export. The scene layer content then gets automatically re-projected to Web Mercator.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-OlpHy1NoMNug
Occasional Contributor II

Sounds good.

I'm also having difficulty finding instructions for using my own elevation data.  Can this be done through AGOL or just ArcServer?  Can you point me to the documentation for this?

What's the ETA on the next CityEngine release?

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Can I share my own terrain models in scenes?

Yes. You can share custom terrains using ArcGIS 10.3 for Desktop and later to create a cached elevation image service. You can add these services as elevation layers in your scene.

CityEngine 2016.1 has just been released:

What's new in CityEngine 2016—Esri CityEngine | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos