Select to view content in your preferred language

Rules

Jump to solution
01-18-2013 10:06 AM
NicoleHanson
Deactivated User
I think there's a step in my rule somewhere that doesn't take into account the number of lanes I have.  On one stretch of road, it's one lane going in one direction.  But I have two lanes of cars after applying the rule.  Any idea where I can find out how to get this fixed?
0 Kudos
41 Replies
NicoleHanson
Deactivated User
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21829[/ATTACH]This is what I got.  Not quite the same as the picture you had.  But it's making sense now!  Slowly, but it is!
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Deactivated User
Cool to hear ..

But make sure that on the Sidewalk Shapes you don't set the StartRule to be Street too !

Notice if you draw a Street that the shapes produced have the Start Rule ( in the Inspector) :
- Street
- Sidewalk

I've JUST been talking about what happens on the Street Shapes, nothing about the Sidewalk. Ok ? If you assign the StartRule 'Street' also to the Shapes which were Sidewalk shapes, you're triggering again new Street Models on those.

Ok ?
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
Deactivated User
I understand.  Those three were roads.  When I have a line, and the create streets, I can add attributes to create a sidewalk as part of that right?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Deactivated User
Hi,

Yeah. You set the rule files, you set the start rules and then generate the models.

So as long as you have the Start Rule defined within the assigned Rule File, you can create the resulting geometry.

So e.g. you can create Streets with a Street Rule File and Sidewalks with a Sidewalk Rule File or completely different define all Start Rules within one big myCity.cga Rule File which is assigned to all Shapes, such as e.g. in the Paris Example.

Note that I always code with colors in CGA, which shows me what I'm doing. I'd say you should do the same.

Note too that I created the curved streets with the Edit Street Tool. Hit the 'c' key when you have a street graph selected, then edit the street in the viewport. Add more subdivisions to make it smoother with the precision attribute in the Inspector.

m.
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
Deactivated User
OK sweet!!  Thanks again for all your help!!  Now to see if I can get the animation going right.  I downloaded the trial of that software you mentioned earlier.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Deactivated User
Hey Nicole ..

I've created a video which talks about the whole code here. I'm working on having the video file published here in this thread so you can watch it..

May take some more time ..
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
Deactivated User
Thank you Matt!
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Deactivated User
Here's the vid :

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Deactivated User
And the rule ..
0 Kudos
NathanBrigmon
Deactivated User
Hi there!

Is there a way to use a CGA rule to change the attribute width of the sidewalks and streets? The only way I know how is through the user panel in the inspector. I would like to be able to select all streets and then drag/drop a rule. Is this possible?

Thanks!
0 Kudos