Rotate models on export

09-10-2013 06:45 AM
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III
Hey - Is there a way I can rotate all my models upon export but without also rotating them within the scene.

I'm doing a simple rotate on ce.selection and I've tried putting the code before and after the 'Finalise Models' bit and before and after the 'Finalise Export' bit, but it always rotates within the scene as well.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

You should not need any rotation .. Hmm.

[There's only kml which has a rotation option in the exporter settings (check export presets), due to different standards in ArcGIS & GoogleEarth.]

--> To what file format do you export ?

Let me know.
0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
The thing is - when I open the CE export (collada .dae) in my viewer the camera is looking up at the bottom of the models whereas all other models (non-CE content) open with the camera looking down on the roofs.

Maybe you're right, maybe in the end I won't need to rotate the models.  I'm waiting for a team in another country to test what I've exported from CE with our other systems so I thought I'd spend a bit of time to see what else I could do fix what I think is a potential problem.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hmm.

It could be that your viewer software thingy interprets coordinates differently, e.g. like the yUp / zUp coordinate system differences between different 3d packages.

You can track this down easily with just a colored cube or so, to check the final translation in your viewer.

Good luck !

m.
0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
Yes I know what rotation I want to perform - but I only want to rotate as part of the export process so my collada export gets rotated but the scene in CE remains unchanged.  Can this be done with an export script?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

if it's a rotation around world.y, then I'd propose you just rotate the whole scene (manually or via script).

rotating the exported model around x or z is most probably impossible. There' you better postprocess the resulting geometry file, maybe in an other 3d app.

let me know ..

M.
0 Kudos