Passages through buildings

Jump to solution
11-16-2020 06:42 AM
AndresKasekamp
New Contributor III

I need to find a way how to create passages through buildings in CityEngine. Creating them manually is difficult and prone to mistakes. I am not using a texture image in CityEngine right now, but I am planning on adding it when I can get good quality image. So right now the passage dimensions should be general.

I am thinking about using rule packages. For example, I am splitting the following face in a way that I can get the part that I can cut out. However, the face that is behind the deleted part would stay. Is there a way I can combine the two building faces with rpk and create a hole into the selected part. Also, when using split operator I can't select the part that I want to delete with local edits.

For example, I have a the following multipatch with both sides. 

AndresKasekamp_0-1605537496045.png

AndresKasekamp_1-1605537513420.png

And this is the image from Street View.

AndresKasekamp_2-1605537652683.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There are probably several ways to create "passages", but what you are trying to do is not procedural from the building footprint alone.  Your passageways appear to be at defined locations, not randomly assigned by a code (based on your suggestion of footprint cut ups). 

1. You could use the polygon modeling tools to draw a line across the passageway and then split the shape in the shape tools tab.  Then for the passageway shape - translate the second floor up the y-axis for the height of the first floor.  You could copy your second floor code into a new cga code, and then use exactly the same settings as its neighbors upper floors to get a matching look.

2. Or you could could create 2 overlapping shapes (would probably take some finessing to select the right shape at first), one for the first floor with no passage section, one for the upper floors with passage section area to become upper floors.  Then translate by code or use the select tool move to get the upper floor shape up the y-axis.

I am sure there are other ways too, but those are the ones that come to my mind first.   I'll try to follow up with images when I get a chance. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There are probably several ways to create "passages", but what you are trying to do is not procedural from the building footprint alone.  Your passageways appear to be at defined locations, not randomly assigned by a code (based on your suggestion of footprint cut ups). 

1. You could use the polygon modeling tools to draw a line across the passageway and then split the shape in the shape tools tab.  Then for the passageway shape - translate the second floor up the y-axis for the height of the first floor.  You could copy your second floor code into a new cga code, and then use exactly the same settings as its neighbors upper floors to get a matching look.

2. Or you could could create 2 overlapping shapes (would probably take some finessing to select the right shape at first), one for the first floor with no passage section, one for the upper floors with passage section area to become upper floors.  Then translate by code or use the select tool move to get the upper floor shape up the y-axis.

I am sure there are other ways too, but those are the ones that come to my mind first.   I'll try to follow up with images when I get a chance. 

KamogaDouglas
New Contributor II

Hello @AndresKasekamp 

Hopefully I got your question right!

In addition to @Anonymous User All you have to do is draw another shape (the dimensions of your passage way) on top of the face using the shape creation tools. Make sure the shape is directly on the face. Hold "T" while drawing to achieve this.

Hovering over the draw shape will bring a yellowish gizmo you can drag to the back and create that hole.

Hope this helps.

Doug.

0 Kudos