Navigator Window Issues

10-11-2012 05:27 PM
JasonBalmut
Occasional Contributor III
Each time I right-click in the Navigator window CityEngine locks up for several minutes or crashes the program completely.  Has anyone else had this problem in CE 2012.1?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

When does this happen precisely ?
- if no scene is open
- if a scene is open and a shape with no rule file assigned ?
- if a scene is open and a shape with rule file assigned ?

After a crash, search your harddrive ( e.g. on Windows C:/ ) for a log file which starts with the name 'hs_err'. It can be created in multiple positions, thus you have to search for it.

If you find such a log file which got created in the right time, can you post the file here ?

Let me know ..

Matt
0 Kudos
JasonBalmut
Occasional Contributor III
Matthias,

This issue seems to have worked itself out on its own.  If it starts happening again I will post an update.

The only configuration I have changed was in the CityEngine.ini file.  I had a start up issue that you helped me with when I first started with CityEngine 2012 and the solution was to put the -Dagol line in the .ini.  Maybe that fixed this issue as well?
0 Kudos
Maudvan_Haeren
New Contributor
Hi Matthias,

I am a new City Engine user (version 2012.1) and have the same problem Jason Balmut describes here. I am running the 64bit Advanced installation on a Windows 7 machine. ArcGIS 10.0 is installed on the same machine.

After right clicking in the navigator window it blocks for several minutes. It used to crash sometimes, but that does not seem to happen anymore. I looked for the hs_err file you described, but since it doesn't crash I don't have a very recent one. The file is too large to attach with this message, is there another way I could share this with you? It will be an older one and I am not sure whether it describes a crash due to right clicking in the navigator window. Hopefully it will be of use to you.

The blocking happens during all the three situations you have described.

Hopefully you can help me with this one!

Thanks,

Maud van Haeren
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Maud,

Can you try and create a new workspace, then check if it happens still ?

Not sure what this could be ..

Maybe also, in your user account, delete the '.CityEngine' folder, then restart CE.

Lemme know.

Matt
0 Kudos
Maudvan_Haeren
New Contributor
Hi Matthias,

Thank you for your quick response. I deleted the .CityEngine folder from my user profile and created a new workspace. However, the problem with right- clicking in the navigator window is still not solved. Do you have any other suggestions? Really hope that this can be resolved! I have already tried reinstalling, this did not work either.

Thanks,
Maud
0 Kudos
Niels_van_der_Vaart
Esri Contributor
Hi Maud,

Does this poor performance in the navigator also occur if another windows user logs in to the computer? You mentioned that you reinstalled the software, was that just CityEngine or also the entire operating system?

Jason indicated that the problem was 'automagically' solved on his side after he added the -Dagol line to the CityEngine.ini file. While i do not clearly see the cvonnection between adding this line and solvig your issue, it might be worthwile to give it a try. How to do this, is explained in this forum topic: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/68174-downloading-tutorials-and-examples

Let me know if this makes a difference...

Regards, Niels
0 Kudos
Maudvan_Haeren
New Contributor
Hi Niels,

Thank you for your response. I tried adding the -Dagol line in the *.ini file and the problem does not occur anymore! It works smoothly and performance has also greatly improved. I can finally get to work!

Thank you!
0 Kudos